custom fields in user profile

julie miyasato July 26, 2013

Can I create a custom field in user profiles? For example, we would like to capture the user's title and/or the product for which the user is working on.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2013

No, custom fields are for issues only.

The closest you can get off-the-shelf is that users can have properties associated with them, but only admins can set them, and you need a plugin to expose them outside the user profile/admin screen.

Thanks Nic! I am am an admin. Which plug in? Is it available for OnDemand?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2013

Sorry, I really should have said - it's the "Jira Toolkit", which is a) free and b) available in OnDemand.

Thanks. We actually do have the Jira Toolkit. Still unable to figure out how to add a custom field to a user profile...is it adding a Key to the properties? I have tried that but it does not seem searchable or visible any place.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 26, 2013

Ok, I'm a bit fuzzy on one part - I don't know if OnDemand admins can set user properties. It sounds like you've found it, and you can though :-)

But for the rest, there are two parts:

Yes, you are spot on about adding a key and value. Only admins can add them, only admins can view them, and on that basis, frankly, they're useless. Other people need to see the, but its admin-only. Pretty useless in general. (But add one anyway, for this test)

Now, the Jira toolkit kicks in - add a custom field of "user property field" as usual. Then set the default value to "reporter:key" or "assignee:key". Next time you go to issues that have it on-screen, you'll see whatever <key> you set, based on who the reporter or assignee is.

Unfortunately, it's still not searchable.

julie miyasato July 29, 2013
Hi Nic. I added a user.property field. Made default value assignee:key. Added to bug screen. If unassigned, the field shows up on the bug screen with no data. Once I assign the bug to myself the field disappears from the screen. If I Unassign it, the field title shows up again.
If it's not searchable it's useless anyway. It's OK if only admins can edit it and see it. All our project managers are admins and are the ones who will use it. But we need to be able to see a list of all users in a specific department or assigned to a certain team. It's such a simple thing.
Do you know if this can be done in Tempo? We are currently evaluating Tempo. I know you can assign "Teams" in Tempo but can we query on them? And can we add custom fields for department?
julie miyasato July 29, 2013

Could I use post functions to update from that user property field to a new custom field? Then it would be visible and searchable, yes?

I grealize that it would only apply if an issue is actually assigned to somebody but that may be OK.

julie miyasato July 31, 2013

Hi. Any update for me?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 31, 2013

I don't know Tempo well enough to give you a decent answer

Property fields on users are notoriously difficult to use - there simply isn't much functionality around them. Such as searching or displaying - the view field in the toolkit sort of solves the problem, but you then have the odd situation where you are looking at a user property via an issue, and the data is not actually directly related to the issue.

If you copy these things with post functions, you'll be making a fundamental change to the information you're manipulating - once you've copied it, the data will belong to the issue. If you change the user associated with it, or you change the property on that user, then your copied data on the issue won't match. That might well be what you want (I've got a function here that says "capture the group(s) of the person doing X to the issue - if they change jobs, and hence groups, we do NOT want to change the issues because we need to know in what capacity they did it in, not what their current role is). But you need to think all of this through.,

1 vote
Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2013

You can add user custom fields via Project Team plugin. See https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.stonikbyte.jira.plugins.project-team-plugin.

Danut.

Shawn Smith March 24, 2017

Only available for Server (not Cloud)

Danut M _StonikByte_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 22, 2017

Suggest an answer