custom field description not displayed

Trevor Marshall June 12, 2012

hi, I just changed the name of a custom field we have, then added a description, all by editing it within custom fields. The description refuses to display when I create a new issue. Am I missing something? I have re-indexed.

The field is of type URL Field. JIRA 4.4.4

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MinC
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2012

Please give it a try to change the description via Administration > Issue Fields > Field Configuration Scheme.

Trevor Marshall June 12, 2012

That did it, thanks!

1 vote
Ibrahim
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 10, 2014

I've made a feature request to see if we can make this more intuitive within JIRA.

JRA-40782

The full documentation on custom field description behavior is found here: Configuring a Custom Field.

Adding a snippet of the documentation here as well.

Changing the description of a custom field

Not changing the description in a field configuration means that any changes you make to a custom field's description are not seen.

JIRA allows you to define a description of a custom field, and if the field configuration descriptions are left empty then the original description text will appear when you create or edit an issue, and as help text in the Issue Navigator. However you can also define different description texts in each field configuration and this will override the original field description text.

For example if a custom field "My Field" is defined with a description of "This is my field" and no field configuration changes are made, then the displayed text will be "This is my field" as expected. If field configurations are used and a description "This is my excellent field" is set for the custom field in the field description, then the displayed text will be "This is my excellent field".

Suggest an answer