custom event notification not working properly

ashleyg March 16, 2015

Hi,

Its strange that the custom event notification for one of our projects in Jira that worked until our recent migration of JIRA to new server is not working anymore. Rest everything looks fine.

Let me explain a bit.

We have a transition in workflow say X->Y. For this we have added post function that fires notification based on a  custom event named "Waiting to in progress'.

We had created this custom event under System->Events and associated this to our workflow transition post function. Now since this an event so it also occurs in our Notification scheme and what we basically wanted is that for this particular transition JIRA doesn't fire any emails so simply left this event in our notification scheme as unassociated to any user/group/role. So until the recent migration it worked fine and for this particular status transition wouldn't fire any emails. But now it does. I checked everything and couldn't figure out this sudden abrupt behavior.

Is there something you could help me with?

Your help in this regard would be greatly appreciated.

BR,

Ashley

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 16, 2015

Could we just check something in here - you say "For this we have added post function" - have you really added a post-function, or do you mean that you have changed the standard non-removable one that JIRA implements so that it fires your custom event?

ashleyg March 16, 2015

Juts changed the standard jira one where jira by default provides "Fire a Generic Event" to"Fire my custom event"

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2015

Ok, good. So, what does the notification scheme say now? Check carefully that you're looking at the right one for the project we are looking at. And obviously, look at the line for <your custom event> (not worried about the others, I assume they're ok?)

ashleyg March 17, 2015

Hi Nic, I didn't quite get you. As i mentioned i have created a custom event Waiting to progress and associated it my particular transition post function and since its event so it appears at the bottom in my notification scheme. But since i want no notifications to anyone for this transition in issues so left this event in notification scheme blank without adding any user/role/group,etc. I would like to confirm here that same thing done by me used to work like a charm in old jira instance 6.1.3 but after having moved/upgraded that to 6.3.15 the same feature still triggers mails to Assignee for this transition which is highly illogical. The fact is that no changes have been done by anyone regarding this. If you have any idea or if you could suggest me to check something so that we can figure out th reason why this illogical thing occurs then that would be greatly appreciated. BR, Ashley

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2015

That's what I need you to confirm - are you 100% sure that: - no-one is named in the notification scheme for your custom event - the notification scheme you are looking at is definitely associated with the project - the transition is definitely firing your event and not another one Every time I've seen "it's sending email when it shouldn't", it's been because people haven't checked one of those three. Also, have you defined any listeners in your system?

ashleyg March 17, 2015

Hi Nic, Ofcourse all 3 are there upto my knowledge and i surely don't know if this transition post function is firing my custom event or not because if it is not then which event is it firing thay assignees get mails for this transition. Regarding listeners yes its defined in the system so for all other transition post functions it fires the generic event defined in our notification scheme. Also we have one configured for this particular transition where any comment made by reporter in X state auto changes the state to Y which works fine. Bit alongside it also triggers mail for status change despite our custom event explanation so far, BR. Ashley

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2015

I'm sorry, I can't follow that. Can you check the three lines I suggested. Don't tell me what you think should be happening or what the symptoms are in the same sentence, or guess at the rest of what is happening. Once you have checked that, can you give us a simple list of all the listeners in your system, without trying to talk about what you think they do.

ashleyg March 17, 2015

How can i check if the transition is definitely firing my custom event bcoz that is what is not happening.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2015

You can only work that out by inference - i.e. you get results. You need to configure the system to send email to someone when that event happens, then you'll know. i.e. go over the three points above.

ashleyg March 18, 2015

Hi Nic, I'll try that to check if really the custom event does something or not. In the meanwhile if you could just help me with below mentioned 2 issues. https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/13417414 https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/13417400 I know i should not ask this to you but i really need to get these resolved at the earliest for our jira. Your help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. BR, Ashley

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2015

Ok, possibly the best way is to set up a dummy user with an email address you can read, browse access on the project, and make absolutely sure all three rules apply to it - add it directly into the notification for the event as a user - that avoids having to think about groups and roles.

ashleyg March 24, 2015

Hi Nic, I tried almost every possibility to ensure the above three you mentioned is considered but still no luck. Even the dummy user doesn't receive any notifications but yes the assignee always does receive notification for this custom event (tied to the particular transition mentioned in the issue). So what i think here is that for this particular transition jira still fires default generic event rather than my custom event for some reason. Kindly let me know if you need any further information. BR, Ashley

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2015

>So what i think here is that for this particular transition jira still fires default generic event rather than my custom event for some reason It cannot be doing that. The Assignee gets the notification for the custom event, so it IS firing the custom event, and not the generic one. That means the problem is in the notification scheme - your dummy user is not meeting the rule you have set for "get mail on this custom event". One quick thought - when you're triggering this event, who are you logged in as? If it is the dummy user, check that the "do not email me when I make changes" flag is OFF

Sabrine Fumie Serikawa August 2, 2018

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-! I had a problem not receiving notifications and the problem was that I was testing sending to my user and I was logged with my user and had the "do not email me when I make changes" flag ON!

Suggest an answer