custom event and workflows

Ankita Sharma February 24, 2015

Hi,

I have created a custom event as "Move Issue". Also, I have created a new transition "working on ticket" from "waiting for support" to "waiting for customer" statuses.

After that, for "working on ticket" transition, i have added a post function for updating the field value - summary, which is working fine when i am moving to "working on ticket", the ticket summary get updated.

Kindly let me know how can i Update the post function to fire the custom event which i created "Move Issue".

I am unable to correlate the custom event with post functions.

Please explain.

Thanks,

Ankita

4 answers

1 vote
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2015

When you are editing the post functions replace the current event with your new event.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 24, 2015

Look at the existing post-functions on the transition - JIRA will add five of them for you automatically (and you can't remove them)

One of the standard ones is "fire event", which will probably say "generic event".  Edit it, changing it to your "move issue" event.

Hi Nic, Thanks for the response. I changed the generic event to "Issue Moved" system event. But when I move to "working on ticket" transition, nothing happens for Issue moved event. Basically , I want if i am firing this event then Move issue screen should open so that the ticket can be moved to another project. Is it possible? Please explain. Thanks, Ankita

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 24, 2015

I think you have misunderstood what events are for. An event is fired as a result of a change to an issue (and a couple of other places, but it's still a change of something). They are fired at the END of the process, and are there for "listeners" to react to. A listener is a background process which has no user interface. The standard listener in Jira is for email (via the notification schemes) So, effectively, events generate emails to people. An event is NOT for triggering further user activity, it can't do it. If you want to move an issue, you can't do it in a transition, you need to do it in a move process. You'll need to write a listener that can respond to your custom event and do the move. Be warned, the action of moving an issue is wrought with danger - unless the schemes in the source and target projects are identical, you can easily break the issue. That's why "issue move" is complex for the users in the UI as well.

0 votes

hi, how to write a listener to respond to a custom event and do the operation. Thanks, Ankita

0 votes

Hi Nic, Thanks for the response. I changed the generic event to "Issue Moved" system event. But when I move to "working on ticket" transition, nothing happens for Issue moved event. Basically , I want if i am firing this event then Move issue screen should open so that the ticket can be moved to another project. Is it possible? Please explain. Thanks, Ankita

Suggest an answer