creating a text report

Andrew Thorne May 5, 2017

Being a newbie, I have very little idea about what I am doing but I would like to create a report with just some text fields from a particular issue type and other text fields from a different issue type.

To explain in more detail, each project has objectives:

1. Strategic Objectives (the high level objective)
  2. Operational Objectives (the Strategic Objective cut in to smaller pieces)

In each Strategic Objective, there is a key. In each Operational Objective, there is a different key and a field that contains the Strategic Objective key.

What I want is a report that lists the Strategic Objective key and description. Then, in a column next to it, all the keys and descriptions from the Operational Objectives with a matching key.

Any Strategic Objectives without any matching Operational Objectives should be included but the second column will be empty.

Later I will want to add other information about the status of the objectives but if I can get this don then I should be able to figure the rest out for myself.

It should be possible to export the data as an Excel or anything so that it can be copied and pasted into other reports or presentations.

Any ideas about how to achieve this? I am open to all suggestions and techniques - add-ons or Excel macros.

4 answers

3 votes
Deleted user June 7, 2017

Hi Andrew,
Xporter for JIRA can help you to create/get your documents/reports. Xporter allows to create customized reports
using Microsoft Word and Excel and you can get report generated in PDF,DOCX, XLSX, XLSM, RTF and more.
You can export a single or multiple issues, scheduled reports and send the report to Confluence or to another
file serve like FTP Server. Also, it provides 2 workflow post-funtion in order to allow you creating documents
when a specific transition happens and include that report in the current issue as a attachment or send it by e-mail

You can read the documentation of add-on here and they have a Xporter Academy to help customers understand the potential of the product here.
Our support is very reactive, you can contact us to clarify some doubts and/or get some help to build your template.

Xporter for JIRA is the #1 Top Rated Reporting Add-on for JIRA supporting Word and Excel Templates.

0 votes
Deleted user June 7, 2017

Hi Andrew,
Xporter for JIRA can help you to create/get your documents/reports. Xporter allows to create customized reports
using Microsoft Word and Excel and you can get report generated in PDF,DOCX, XLSX, XLSM, RTF and more.
You can export a single or multiple issues, scheduled reports and send the report to Confluence or to another
file serve like FTP Server. Also, it provides 2 workflow post-funtion in order to allow you creating documents
when a specific transition happens and include that report in the current issue as a attachment or send it by e-mail

You can read the documentation of add-on http://confluence.xpand-addons.com/display/public/XPORTER/Xporter+for+JIRA+Latest+Home and they have a Xporter Academy to help customers understand the potential of the product http://confluence.xpand-addons.com/display/public/XPORTER/Xporter+Academy
Our support is very reactive, you can contact us to clarify some doubts and/or get some help to build your template.

Xporter for JIRA is the #1 Top Rated Reporting Add-on for JIRA supporting Word and Excel Templates.

0 votes
Peter June 7, 2017

j

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2017

Andrew, you can create any sort of custom Excel exports/reports from JIRA using the Better Excel Plugin. Your use case is absolutely doable with a custom template.

Intro video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiw0tuhdLzw

See the documentation including the template customization guides  here: http://www.midori-global.com/products/jira-better-excel-plugin/documentation/

Suggest an answer