create user directly in jira cloud version without invite

Saeid December 26, 2017

Hi,

We have a jira cloud version in our company. Starting with 10 users.

Q1 : how can I create a user without invite. I mean create a user directky in jira ?

Q2 : I want to have the business keyusers to view the issues (just a view). how to do it ?  do I need a license for them ?

grtz,

thx for you help,

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 18, 2020

Hello,

Just a quick update on this thread:

Question 1:

Just as mentioned by @Walter Buggenhout, Create and invite users to Jira is basically the same thing, where you can select if you want to send a notification to the user or not.

Question 2:

Indeed, it is not possible to allow specific users to access issues in Jira software Cloud without a valid license for each user. With that in mind, you can use one of the options below to achieve it:

1. Sign-up for Jira Service desk application
    In Jira SD, you can have customers where no license is needed to access issues.
  2. Configure your project as Public
    In some cases where no sensitive data is added to the issue, you can configure your project as public, allowing anyone on the internet to access it as anonymous
  3. Export your issues
    You can export your issues from a JQL query and share the exported file with the unlicensed users. The format allowed are: CSV, HTML, XML, RSS, WORD.
  4. Create a single user shared for each team you have, giving the browse projects permission to the relevant projects.

Best regards,

Petter Gonçalves - Community Support Engineer

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2017

Hi @Saeid,

Q1: on Cloud, creating and inviting a user is more or less the same thing. The process for creating (or inviting) a new user is described here. You can decide if you want to send a mail notification with instructions for the new user or not by checking the box at the bottom of the creation form.

Q2: Your business users will need both application access to Jira (and this makes them need a license indeed) and browse project permission on the projects that contain the issues they should be able to see. For more information on project permissions, see the documentation here.

Saeid December 26, 2017

Hi Walter,

Thx for your quick reply.

The first link to the doc's is not working. Please check.

regarding Q2 : I thought that the on-premise version does allow to create a view only user without license.

Grtz,

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 26, 2017

Hi @Saeid,

Fixed the link, thanks for the catch!

Regarding Q2, Jira Service Desk allows customers to access without a license through the customer portal. This is a specific use case for customer service though which I did not immediately link to your initial question.

Saeid December 27, 2017

Hi, Thx,

Just to be clear,

The jira service desk tool (licensed) is the only way to grant access to the jira issues (view only) for the business people.

Correct ?

Grtz,

Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 27, 2017

No, no,

Sorry if I created confusion there. Please refer to my initial answer to Q2. This is about Jira Software or Core. Your business people will be able to have read only access if they are licensed users (i.e. are granted application access) to Jira Software/Core (where your manage your issues) and have browse project permission on the project(s) that contains the issues.

Jira Service Desk only entered the picture as a reply to your unlicensed access question. But I do not believe it is relevant for your use case.

0 votes
Saeid December 27, 2017

Hi Walter,

Ths for reply. I do understand it. If the user has a LICENSE than is everything OK.

I have almost 50 business users and I want to give them a view (display) right. Base don your reply, I need 50 extra licenses. It is not a good new :-(

thx,

Suggest an answer