create task screen allow subtasks to be created here

Michael Oltmans February 5, 2020

My goal is simple when you create a task it gives you the ability to see fields particularly description. Along with this is the ability to click a checkbox that keeps that dialog up to create more tasks. 

I am looking for this same functionality with subtasks, currently you can only enter the title then if you want to add more information you have to go into the subtask. How do I setup this up.

1 answer

0 votes
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2020

Hello Michael,

Welcome to Atlassian Community!

Indeed, you don't have the option to use the default issue creation screen to create sub-tasks when using the new issue view, which prevents you from several customization options as you mentioned.

In fact, the new issue view is still a lab feature in Jira so we are currently collecting feedback to get it improved. That being said, we created the following feature request to add the default issue creation screen as an option when creating sub-tasks:

Allow the Create Issue screen to be shown when creating sub-tasks in the Detail Issue View 

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

As a workaround, you can choose one of the options below:

1 - Disable the New Issue View, by clicking in your profile picture at the left-bottom corner > Settings > Scroll down to the Lab section and turn it off:

2 - Add a required field to the Create Issue screen, so the default issue creation will pop-up once you type the summary of the Sub-task and click to create it.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Suggest an answer