create non-editable custom field. And also, keep it's value pre-assigned.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

I have added following custom field as lable - field type. And also aaded it's default value.

1) Client ID: default value "COMP"
2) Communication ID: 9898 as default value.

Can you please tell me , how can i make these two fields as non editable ?

Thank You.

2 answers

0 votes
Sophie Wong December 9, 2013

Has anyone figured out how to do this? I tried using "Message Custom Field (for view)" custom field type, but it only shows up on the view screen. I need to put up a message on the create screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 9, 2013

The "create" screen is effectively an edit screen - try "Message Custom Field (for edit)" instead.

Sophie Wong December 9, 2013

Thanks Nic. That worked!

Hoa Nguyenthi January 15, 2019

Hi @Sophie Wong, Please share me how to display the custom field "Message Custom Field (for edit) on the "Create" screen, I tried but it doesn't worked. Thanks

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2019

It's the same as it was 6 years ago - add the field to the list of custom fields, give it a default value, then go to the screen you want it on and add it there.

Hoa Nguyenthi January 16, 2019
SLOC Support July 30, 2020

I also need a read only text field in the create screen to give 2-3 informations to the autor of an issue.

Now I've tried the "Message Custom Field (for edit)", put in the message as default value and it also is shown in the create screen BUT the field is empty.

Do you have any idea why my default value is not shown in the create screen?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2013

You can't, that's not what fields are for really.

Two workarounds spring to mind:

1. Put the field on the "create" screen only. The users will be able to override your default, but won't be able to change it later.

2. Add a read-only text field and populate that with a post-function

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 17, 2013

I tried second option.

actually, added read-only text fields are not appearing over the screen.

I have also added post condition under "Create issue" transition.

what could be missing ?

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2013

And ya, i have published workflow too..

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 17, 2013

Hi Nic,

I able to see both the read-only text fields over issue screen (after issue gets created).

But those not appearing over create issue screen while creating an issue.

any idea ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2013

Make sure the read-only field(s) are on the issue view screens (no harm in adding them to create and edit as well)

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2013

Yes, it is appar over issue view screen after issue get created. But it does not appear over issue creating screen even though it is "Required" field in field configuration.
why it gets hidden over issue create screen ? any solutin which allows these fields to appear over issue create screen.

I have already set this screen for Create/Edit/view all operations.

NOTE: by followig your above solution, i able to set the default value on - Post condition of create issue transition and fields can appear over issue view screen but problem is, it is not appearing over issue create screen.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 18, 2013

They won't appear on create because the issue has no data, so they have no data to display.

You actually need a totally different type of field if you want things to appear on the create screen - some form of "message" field. There's one in the "Jira Toolkit" add-on which will do the job.

dhaval soni
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2013

ok.

I tried for adding - "Message Custom Field (for view)" custom field type.

But, when come to next step of addition of custom field and "finish" then it shows me below error and unable to add this custom field.

"Invalid searcher chosen"

Also, there is no searcher appear to select on field creating screen.

Please correct me if it is wrong type ?

MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 18, 2013

Hi Dhaval,
This is the correct field for you to use, however we are currently experiencing a bug when configuring this specific custom field. The bug report can be found here

Suggest an answer