create new worklfow from existing one and change status name

mnpiad February 5, 2014

Hi,

I want to create 2 issue type with two diffrent workflow

When i create a new workflow from copying from existing workflow( the jira default) and try to change the state name to "Assigned" it says this status has already been used in another workflow and not allowing me to change

So i cannot have 2 diffrent workflow with the same status/state name ?

1 answer

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

No, it's not telling you that.

Your question seems a little muddled, and I'm not sure what is happening, so here's the three things that it *might* be.

• Jira shares status across workflows. If you change the name of a status, you affect all the workflows that currently use that status
  • Jira will not let you have a workflow with duplicate status (it's nonsense). So if you have "assigned" on step 4, it's not going to let you use "assigned" for step 7 as well
  • Status names are unique. If you add "assigned" to the list of possible status, then you can NOT add it again. If you want to use "assigned" in several workflows, then you can, just associate it with the relevant steps (and bear in mind point 1 if you need to worry about changing them later)

I actually suspect you've run into 3 - you're trying to add a status which already exists?

mnpiad February 5, 2014

so in clearquest i have 2 issues type Defect/Enhancement/other all of which can have there own independent state workflow and states are not shared among workflows. I am looking to get this done in Jira to see if jira satisfies all the requirement which CQ can

so yes i want to use Assigned in several workflows.

1. i did copy workflow from existing one so it came up with default stateflow diagram

2. Now i wan to rename the defaut state to my custom workflow state i.e to remove the one which i dont want it so should i delete the one which i dont want or i can just rename the ones say there is already a "Resolved" state i want to change it to "Assigned" where i got the error so if i am not using the resolved state instead of renaming i should be deleting the state which i do not require ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 5, 2014

I'm not sure you've read the answer I tried to give. I'll try it again, differently

• Status is something you put in a workflow, one per step.
  • You can NOT use a status more than once in a workflow (because it's nonsense)
  • You CAN use the same status in many separate workflows
  • Status is drawn from a global list
  • If you rename a status, it affects ALL places it is used
  • If you want to have a different status on a step in a workflow, then your options are
  1. rename the status, which will affect all the other workflows that use it
  2. Change the status associated with that step to a different one from the global list

Suggest an answer