create an issue from an email

Ángela Alcoba July 13, 2017

I need to create an issue from an email that was shot through another issue. The problem is that it is not creating it and I suppose it can be by how the body of the mail is composed with the data of the initial incidence. Could you tell me if this is so? Since if I do the test sending the mail from my mail, the issue is created correctly. For example 

In the transition a postfuncion sends me an email that comes with this format

mail.png

With this email I want to create a new issue in another flow, it is all configured to take it, but not create it. If that same email is received from an email address and not from a post function, it creates the issue correctly

In short, I need to create an issue from an email that arrived when another issue was transposed (without using any pluggin)

Regards,

Angela

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2017

Sending an email from JIRA to itself is probably a very clumsy way to do this sort of automation, although I am impressed that you have thought of it as a route to do it without add-ons.

I think the problem is a pretty basic one though.  The email JIRA sends out has the issue key in the subject.

The email handler you are using is seeing that, and hence saying "this is a comment on the issue named in the subject".  I'd want to check the original issue to see if comments are appearing on it, as I think that's probably where they're going!

I would not try to do this with email myself.  Without using add-ons, I think I'd struggle (because JEMH and ScriptRunner make it so easy), but I think I'd be reaching for webhooks instead of email.

Ángela Alcoba July 14, 2017

Good Morning! I appreciate your answers ... The reason why I have found this way to perform this step is because the options mentioned by you have understood that they have additional cost. Regards, Angela

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2017

Webhooks are built into JIRA

0 votes
Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2017

Need a little more clarification on this....

Does the original issue already exist and someone is replying to a comment/notification and you want that reply to generate another ticket? 

Ángela Alcoba July 13, 2017

Good afternoon, the issue already exists and triggers an email when making a transition, and that email is the one that has to create a new issue in another flow.

Shawn Masters
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2017

As Nic mentioned below, JEMH is absolutely AMAZING for this and once you give it a try you will not regret having it installed in your instance. 

Alternatively, if you can get the workflow to generate the email without the issue key in the subject line, then Jira should process it as a new issue. 

Suggest an answer