connection pool exceptions - Continuition

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2012

I posted a question couple of minutes back and am contining here since i am unable to access that post.

Hi Dieter,

Please find the threaddump attached. I am unable to attach the complete dump but i found nearly 150 threads blocked. (dump1.txt)

6 answers

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2012

In the absence of the thread dump, here is a wild educated guess:

1) 300 connections are way too much. You may have messages on ORCL side that it is in a kind of limbo.

2) Remove abandoned has something to do with your deadlock (remove abandoned is called AFAIK from another thread that the one that aquired the connection). The ORCL drivers are sensitive to these kinds of manipulation.

Actions:

1) Delete these lines

<removeAbandoned>true</removeAbandoned>
<removeAbandonedTimeout>600</removeAbandonedTimeout>
2) Edit this line:
<pool-size>35</pool-size>

3) Restart Jira & retest

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Hi Dumitru,

Thanks for your suggestion. As we are frequently getting connection timed out exceptions, atlassian support guys suggested this.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

I would also remove the validation query.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

We migrated two weeks back and observed this issue. We had similar configuration except the removeAbandoned property and there was absolutely no issues with the previous jira version.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Ah, that's news. ORA-03136 ? One should check the network listener on ORCL as well as the network conditions. Keeping the number of connections at suggested levels can only help in this case.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

My name is Radu. Yes, 150 threads, 35 database connections.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Hi Dumitriu,

Do you mean the pool size attribute to 35? Also what about the maxThreads? Currently we have 150 mentioned inour server.xml file. Is that ok?

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Sorry Radu, I just copied your last name from this post and using it.

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

No probs.

Really, I do not think you have a deadlock. The behavior is just that Jira is waiting too much to create a connection.

You need to look at the following:

a) JDBC driver (oracle has released some really bad drivers lately)

b) sqlnet.log (or whatever) for the ORCL listener (maybe authentication takes a long time, maybe there are not configured enough sockets on accept, etc)

c) network between your Jira server and ORCL server. Does "telnet orclhost 1571" responds in no time ?

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

I am adding sql statistics observation from melody plugin.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Adding dumps..

(dump1.txt)

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

(dump2.txt) threaddumps

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

(dump4.txt) this is annoying.. no able to attach a complete dump

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Hi Radu, did you get a chance to look at the dumps i attached??

-Srinivas

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 6, 2012

Yes. They still not contain the info I need. Search yourself after the string "locked <0x000000059a5bf828>" in your dump and attach that thread.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

1) 150 threads and 300 connections ? This is wrong. N connections < N threads (one thread should use at most one connection).

2) From your partial thread dump, I see that the threads are blocked on the monitor

waiting to lock <0x000000059a5bf828> (a org.apache.commons.dbcp.PoolableConnectionFactory) on validate.

2.a) you need to look in your thread dump for the string: locked 0x000000059a5bf828 (same address as above). Please
show us that thread, this is the one that is blocking everything
2.b) you need to look a bit over the configuration of the DBCP datasource. Are you using validation? testWhileIdle ? Would
be helpful to show us the configuration, too
2.c) Disable any 3rd party plugins before doing these tests.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

That's a good point... I found using a validation query made things massively slower (on oracle at any rate). The validation query is run before every single normal query. As Radu says 300 connections seems way too much... I manage a jira site with 10k users and the connection pool is 30.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012
 HI Radu/Jamie, Please find the db configuration below.
&lt;?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?&gt;
&lt;jira-database-config&gt;
&lt;name&gt;defaultDS&lt;/name&gt;
&lt;delegator-name&gt;default&lt;/delegator-name&gt;
&lt;database-type&gt;oracle10g&lt;/database-type&gt;
&lt;jdbc-datasource&gt;
&lt;url&gt;jdbc:oracle:thin:@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx:1571:JIRAPROD&lt;/url&gt;
&lt;driver-class&gt;net.bull.javamelody.JdbcDriver&lt;/driver-class&gt;
&lt;connection-properties&gt;driver=oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver&lt;/connection-properties&gt;
&lt;username&gt;jira44app&lt;/username&gt;
&lt;password&gt;jira44app&lt;/password&gt;
&lt;removeAbandoned&gt;true&lt;/removeAbandoned&gt;
&lt;removeAbandonedTimeout&gt;600&lt;/removeAbandonedTimeout&gt;
&lt;pool-size&gt;300&lt;/pool-size&gt;
&lt;connection-properties&gt;SetBigStringTryClob=true&lt;/connection-properties&gt;
&lt;validation-query&gt;select 1 from dual&lt;/validation-query&gt;
&lt;/jdbc-datasource&gt;
&lt;/jira-database-config&gt;
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

How about that thread dump ?

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

I guess i already attached thread dumps. May i know which dump you are asking about?

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Your dumps : dump1 is partial, dump2 is useless. We need info on locked objects, as explained.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

The file is huge and so unable to upload the actual one. So i uploaded the the partial one. Can you suggest a way to upload the actual dump i took at the time of system hanged?

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

......zip ?

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Zip is not allowed to attach here.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 4, 2012

Hi Jamie, We redced the pool size to 50 and also handled some other http session attributes. But in the melody plugin the used jdbc connections is observed like below. Maximum it is showing is 9 and Mean is 8. Will that impact in peak hours and what does it means?

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 28, 2012

Hi Jamie, One quick question... What is ideal session time out for Jira and Confluence?

0 votes
srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

i copied the threads from the pdf. Please find the attached. (dump2.txt)

0 votes
srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Hi Jamie,

Please add your comments to this post. I am unable to open the actual post(https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/52523/connection-pool-exceptions) when i click the link on your comments email. This is another issue i posted to atlassian. Melody plugin is already installed and I am analysing it and so far no luck yet. I cant attach here because it is huge.

Hi EvaLee,

I am using Jira 4.4.5 with oracle database.

Thanks

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

With java melody you should see two thread dumps for every connection, one is from when the connection was created, and one is what it is currently doing. The one that created it is the interesting one.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

I don't think you're going to get a correct answer based on the information in your question.

But, if you install the java melody plugin, it will show you all the database connections, along with stacktraces from what created the connection. Using this, you can find out which plugin (it probably is a plugin) is creating them.

srinivasp
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2012

Hi Jamie, I found this -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError in the vm arguments information. Will it be the cause?(systeminfo.txt)

Suggest an answer