configure Jira with port 80

Shlomi Cohen May 3, 2013

hi

i tried to configure my new Jira server with port 80 http://localhost i run config.bat and edit the port number , save and restart Jira service and it's not work for me.

i run netstat -a i saw the it's already listen to port 80 what i can do ?

thanks

7 answers

1 vote
pkirkeby
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2013

Hi Shlomi,

I would recommend taking a look at your <jira-install>/logs/catalina.out for any possible errors during startup.

Also, for reference take a look at this page https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Changing+JIRA's+TCP+Ports

Cheers,

Pelle

0 votes
Shlomi Cohen May 3, 2013

hi

thanks , i tried but it's not work.

first , i run netstat -o and didn't see any port 80 as LISTEN after i change Jira port configuration to 80 and run again netstat -o and got

U:\>netstat -o

Active Connections

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State PID
TCP 10.40.32.27:80 taw171303:55243 TIME_WAIT 0
TCP 10.40.32.27:3389 taw171303:57325 ESTABLISHED 624

but it's NOT work for me , i'm NOT sure that i can make share TCP port 80 with another application.

thanks

0 votes
Shlomi Cohen May 3, 2013

NO , windows server 2008 x64

thanks

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 3, 2013

hmm, that's odd...

Okay, try this, run netstat -o in your command prompt. A sample output will be:

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State      PID
  TCP    WEBAPPSERVER2:80       199.90.113.2:57434     TIME_WAIT  2636
  TCP    WEBAPPSERVER2:80       199.90.113.2:57589     TIME_WAIT  2636
  TCP    WEBAPPSERVER2:80       199.90.113.2:57600     TIME_WAIT  2636
  TCP    WEBAPPSERVER2:80       199.90.113.2:57608     TIME_WAIT  2636
  TCP    WEBAPPSERVER2:3389     12.110.143.84:6473     ESTABLISHED 964
After that, To determine what executable is running as a process ID, open Windows Task Manager and switch to the Processes tab. Look for the PID that has the number 2636 in this case, and stop it. After that re-start JIRA and check if the problem still persists or not.
0 votes
Shlomi Cohen May 3, 2013

hi

because i migrate from old Jira server that used with port 80 and all the users are know the tandard port 80 as Jira server address.

thanks

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2013

are running it on Unix server? If yes, then you need to start JIRA as root in order to successfully bind the port.

0 votes
Shlomi Cohen May 3, 2013

hi

sorry , it wasn't clearly i wanted to change my TCP port from port 8080 (it works) to port 80 and the port probably used by another application, how i can know which application use port 80 ? and how i can configure Jira that will use port 80?

thanks

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2013

Hey again Shlomi,

Well, there are some issues when you try to use JIRA with the port 80, because it's used by HTTP (your internet browser). I think that's why you are having this issue.

Hmm, May I know what do you want to acheive by changing the port to 80? Maybe I can help to find a work-around or something. :)

0 votes
AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2013

Hello Shlomi,

I think you are facing this problem because the port 80 is already in use by another application. But since youhave tried to run netstat and it showed that it's listening to JIRA. Then, can you try to change the port number to another number, for example 8080 or 8082 and see if the problem still persists?

Looking forward to hear from you. :)

AlaA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 3, 2013

If it still not working, can you open your server.xml and check whether the port is changed there? It should look something like the following:

<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">
<Service name="Catalina">
<Connector port="8080"
maxHttpHeaderSize="8192" maxThreads="150" minSpareThreads="25" maxSpareThreads="75"
enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" acceptCount="100" connectionTimeout="20000" disableUploadTimeout="true" />
Make sure that the Connector port is the correct one that you put in JIRA Configuration Tools.
0 votes
Shlomi Cohen May 3, 2013

hi Pelle

i take a look in the logs folder

"SEVERE: Failed to initialize connector [Connector[HTTP/1.1-80]]
LifecycleException: Protocol handler initialization failed: java.lang.Exception: Socket bind failed: [730013] An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions. "

what this error ?

Suggest an answer