commented by and comment date in JQL

Shamith K S August 24, 2014

May i know the reason for not including commented by and comment date in JQL ? i mean is there any performance hit by it.

Reason for the question is i am tryin to develop a plugin which will get issue with given commentor and comment date range. i want to know whether its practically possible without any performance hit ?

4 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
SanaS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2014

Hi Shamith, not sure if this helps, but the Scriptrunner plugin has added this functionality: https://jamieechlin.atlassian.net/wiki/display/GRV/Scripted+JQL+Functions#ScriptedJQLFunctions-commented(commentquery)

Hi Sana,

thanks for the plugin info. Surely helps. Again Many thanks.

2 votes
Nathan Householder December 4, 2019

Are you still looking for an answer on this?

I just found a great work around for this using Automation for JIRA.

Yvelise Deledicq December 5, 2019

Yes I'm searching for the same answer.

If you can help, It will be really useful for me

Thanks 

Nathan Householder December 9, 2019

This is what I have done:

1. 1. Create a new custom field "Last Commented Date/Time"
    1. Make sure that it is a "Date/Time" Field
  2. Create new Automation for Jira rule
    1. I choose to create the rule within "Global Rules"
    2. Choose the trigger, "Issue commented: Rule is run when a comment is added to an issue. This trigger needs no configuration."
    3. Select "IF Block"
      1. User = User who triggered the event
      2. Check to preform = User is
      3. Criteria = Issue Reporter
    4. Choose action
      1. "Edit issue fields"
      2. Choose fields to set... = "Last Comment Date/Time"
      3. Select "Set Value" option for input
        1. Enter this in the field: {{now.plusDays(0)}}
  3. Publish!

It should look like this:

Automation rules - Jira 2019-12-09 17-14-08.png

Now that you have an automation set up, it will now update this field to show the date of last comment by the customer. Next, you can set up filters based off of the comment date/time. For myself, I have a kanban board set up with filters so that it can show me an inbox of sorts of comments on my issues so that I never miss them. Take a look:

Agile Board - Jira 2019-12-09 17-18-44.png

Agile Board - Jira 2019-12-11 13-20-54.png

Let me know if you'd like any more clarification.

Like # people like this
Ryan Holland January 28, 2020

Nathan,

Thank you for this! This was exactly what I neede for one of my automations!

Like # people like this
Hoshea Rosenberg June 28, 2020

Hey,

This is a great idea. I used this information in a dashboard widget to notify people their issue had some comment activity on it, since "~" is no longer supported in JQL for currentUser() in comments, 

A couple of things to be aware of-

1) best to turn off email notifications for the automation rule, so it doesn't add extra email noise every time it updates a new "latest" date

2) It will fill up the issue history quickly if there is a lot of back and forth in comments on the ticket. If you sometimes need to go through the issue history to track what happened, its very cluttered. havent found a way to avoid this.

0 votes
Skarbinski Dagny May 23, 2019

i think it is useful as setting a state can be done just to modify the updated date, but that does not mean you actually responded anything, so it gives you none accurate data, if the KPIs are misused .

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 24, 2014

Most people don't care when a coment was made. It's useful sometimes to know when a comment you are looking at was made, and you care about what they've said, but searching by comment date is pretty much unused by almost all users, so no-one has bothered to code for it.

I don't think you'll have much problem with performance if you implement something to do this.

Thanks Nic. You are right, its not used by most of the users.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2014

Hrm... I agree about "most", but not about "almost all". IMHO it's useful to search for users commented by a particular user in a date range, or issues commented by say a troublesome customer. So I bothered to code for it ;-)

To answer the original question, there's no performance hit if you use the comment index, both the comment author and creation date are indexed, so it's a quick query, the same order of time for searching an issue by creation date.

Like # people like this
Al Sargent November 2, 2015

What does it mean that a feature that is not implemented/available is not used by all/mosts users?

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2015

I was trying to say that the reason Atlassian have not implemented it is that they do not think many of their users want to use searches like this. My experience leads me to go along with that. Jamie's users have been different from mine, and obviously had more use for it. So he added it. Much as I'd say my users never *told* me they wanted it, some of them probably could have found it useful.

JB May 7, 2018

Being able to search for issues with recent comments would be a very useful and powerful feature.    There's too much update noise to search by the updated field, since almost anything that touches the issue -- even touches that make no changes -- cause the updated field to be refreshed.

Like # people like this
Alan Bowsher September 17, 2019

Agree, I could use this feature also.  Gives you a truer measure of when something active was done to a ticket rather than just moving it around.

Jerel Crosland January 23, 2020

If the people designing the feature set for the Service Desk type of project were people that actually used a service desk, it would probably have been added. While comments on a "standard" Jira project may or may not be of lesser importance, in a Service Desk environment they are vital to providing good service. Tracking who responded last and when is very important. But once again we have to buy an add-on, or code it ourselves.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer