combining multiple projects into 1 sprint???

Raoul Kaiser June 25, 2012

I have projects a, b, and c. I want to set my sprint with stories from each of the projects so I can just watch 1 sprint and get a true velocity. It does not appear that Jira with Greenhopper will let me do that. Has someone found a way?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 25, 2012

Hi Raoul,

I think you can do that with the rapid board. A rapid board is based on a saved filter and can have issues from more than one project.

Look here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Using+the+Rapid+Board

and here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Starting+a+Sprint

for more information.

Cheers

Thomas

Raoul Kaiser June 26, 2012

Perfect! I was able to create a new rapid board and all projects under that.

Like # people like this
3 votes
Kristof Claes October 14, 2015

Hi,

is it possible with the latest version of JIRA Agile  (now JIRA Software I think), to put tickets of multiple projects in one Sprint?

It is also necessary to be able to get reports (velocity, etc.) of the teams performance across all projects.

Thanks,

Kristof

Shaun Wickramaratne January 17, 2016

Its easy. Just create a new board. When creating a new board select Scrum instead of agile. Select the second option which is "Board from an existing project", then on the next step you can add all the projects you want.

After that you can create sprint and drag all the JIRAs you want in.

Ta

Like # people like this
Laura Streelman April 30, 2018

Very helpful, Shaun. Thank you!

Jasmin Hesselberg December 7, 2018

THX! 

Leonido Gebhard June 25, 2019

@Shaun thank you. Exactly what I was looking for!

Margaret Haynes July 1, 2019

Hi - do you know if this only works for classic projects, I can't add nextgen projects to the board?

Like # people like this
Lavanya Tamarapalli August 12, 2019

I am unable to add next-gen projects as well. Any help is greatly appreciated

Merie McGrath July 10, 2020

Its easy. Just create a new board. When creating a new board select Scrum instead of agile. Select the second option which is "Board from an existing project", then on the next step you can add all the projects you want.

After that you can create sprint and drag all the JIRAs you want in.

2 questions:

1. For creating the new board, does it matter what project you make that board in? I don't think it should since you can add all the projects you want right?
  2. Once the board is created, will I be able to see the full backlog of all the projects I just added so I can then drag those in the sprint? 
Jonathan November 11, 2020

Pretty sure next gen projects doesn't support seeing issues from other projects in the boards.  That's the one big reason we aren't using them at all. Too limiting for how we work. If you use classic you can do this. 

I realize these are old questions, but maybe the answer is useful anyway.

rosshanahan November 16, 2020

What Jonathan said. Testing Jira to move from Asana but one sprint-one project is a show stopper. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Use Classic projects instead of Next-gen.  Boards can be configured to draw from multiple classic projects.

Like rosshanahan likes this
0 votes
Adam Synnott August 21, 2018

Has anyone encountered issues with reporting on multi project sprints. We've got an problem with ours where issue that get transitioned to "done" just disappear and don't leave our burndown charts with just a straight line. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2018

That sounds like your board filter excludes done, or it is not mapped into a board column.

Adam Synnott August 22, 2018

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- - Thanks, all fixed now. It was indeed the board filter.

0 votes
Suryadharshan Alle October 28, 2013

Can anyone help me in creating a new rapid board.

When i went to create a new rapid board, first of all, it was asking me to choose the project and secondly, in my case only Karban section is enabled and Scrum section is disabled.

Martin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 28, 2013

It sounds like you have a pretty old version of GreenHopper (now JIRA Agile). Can you confirm the version you are running?

Suggest an answer