combining 2 different versions of JIRAs into 1 and upgrading to latest

Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2015

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me.  Here is my situation I have been hired into:

Currently two production JIRA's running:

1. Main one Version 6.2..7, with MsSQL DB, Confgured with LDAP
  2. Version 6.3.12 with HSQL DB, Local users

I need to combine these into a single JIRA instance, running on the company VM, and upgrade to latest version. I have tried many thing here are a few with their results:

• Install 6.4.7 on a new machine and restore #1 import #2, doesn't work as #2 has be identical version for import
  • Install 6.3.12 on a new machine restore #1 and project import #2.    This worked after a lot of massaging.  Then I tried to upgrade it to 6.4.7 and it crashed hard, as there were a ton of issues from #2 with invalid users, and other things.  Even after I hacked the DB and changed all unknown users to my uid it still was left with a JAVA crash.
  • Create matching copy of the two projects on #2 and copy the configuration and issues through JIRA configurator and JIRA to JIRA copy.  I could not get the later to copy the issues.

I am at a loss for any ideas.  I am trying to avoid upgrading #1 first as I it will need to be moved anyhow.

Thanks in advance,

Robert

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2015

#2 is perhaps not production data since it is using HSQL. I would upgrade #1 to the latest version and then discuss how to import the data. Project Import is hard to get right. I generally prefer to use the CSV importer which will handle core data, comments and attachments but not links etc. The advantage of extracting the data from #2 using is that you can modify the usernames at the same time

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2015

Yes #2 is production (scary right), long story before I hired on. I may try the CVS imported if above doesn't work. Thanks!

Robert Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 12, 2015

The CSV export kind of works, lost the comments, but is something that actually party worked! Thank you. How do I create a CVS file from JIRA? I went to search and Export CSV all fields, but then I seem to lose comments. Also, I had to go into the Excel and manually fix by doing a search for all "," and replace with "." as well as it saved things like multiple values for Fix/Versions into the same column. Since it is required to have them in two columns upon import, I was hoping it would save them that way in the export...

1 vote
randyz July 27, 2015

Have you tried to backup as xml then import it?

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2015

For #2? #1? or both?

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 27, 2015

NM Yes that is how I back it up. FOr both #1 and #2.

randyz July 27, 2015

what you could do is create another JIRA on 6.4.7, restore with #2 then export asXML. Now you have a backup with the same version of JIRA as #1 that you can import. Hope this helps

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2015

Great Idea! unfortunately the restore of #2 died with Java errors. Not looking good.

0 votes
Betsy Walker {Appfire}
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 28, 2015

With complex scenarios like this, many organizations turn to an Atlassian Expert to do the consolidation and upgrade. There are many steps and precautions, and sequencing is crucial. Also, sometimes the consolidation path requires custom development to augment what the product's built-in functionality cannot address. And it sounds like your Production installation is far from being configured according to best practices. Sometimes having an Expert point that out can allow management to receive the bad news better. wink

Robert G. Nadon
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2015

Hi Betsy, been there and had to undo much of what the "experts" did. Thanks but no thanks.

Suggest an answer