com.atlassian.mail.MailException: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.60 SMTP; Client

Muraleetharan Ramaraj February 19, 2021

ERROR [] Sending mailitem To='M.Ramaraj-ext@abc.com' Subject='(LI-48) Test 3' From='support.internet@abc.com' FromName='Ramaraj, Muraleetharan (Jira)' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='null' InReplyTo='<JIRA.19047.1613766606000@Atlassian.JIRA>' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@3bf20346' MessageId='null' ExcludeSubjectPrefix=false' anonymous Mail Queue Service Error occurred in sending e-mail: To='M.Ramaraj-ext@abc.com' Subject='(LI-48) Test 3' From='support.internet@abc.com' FromName='Ramaraj, Muraleetharan (Jira)' Cc='null' Bcc='null' ReplyTo='null' InReplyTo='<JIRA.19047.1613766606000@Atlassian.JIRA>' MimeType='text/html' Encoding='UTF-8' Multipart='javax.mail.internet.MimeMultipart@3bf20346' MessageId='null' ExcludeSubjectPrefix=false'
com.atlassian.mail.MailException: com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPSendFailedException: 550 5.7.60 SMTP; Client does not have permissions to send as this sender

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2021

There is not a lot much to expand on here.  The last line of the error you have here really is telling us the core of the problem - the user sending the mail does not have permission to send mail. 

This will almost always be down to a misconfigured mail server, a sender that looks malicious, or one that is configured to be harsh on potential spam and has caught your user in the filters.

You'll need to talk to your email administrators and ask them why there is a block

Ramaraj Muraleetharan February 21, 2021

Hi Nic Brough,

Thanks for your Email!

Jira application creates tickets from an Email id sample@abc.com for Project1.  Email Id sample@abc.com had been configured in SMTP server and Email is triggering successfully.

Now I need to create Jira tickets from an Email Id test@abc.com in Project2. Jira tickets are created successfully, but Email is not triggering because SMTP server been configured with sample@abc.com.

Can you please let me know how to handle this issue?

Note: I am using postfix SMTP configuration in Linux server 

Please let me know if you need any other details?

Ramaraj Muraleetharan February 21, 2021

Hi Nic Brough,

Thanks for your Email!

Jira application creates ticket from an Email id "sample@abc.com" for Project Sample. SMTP server been configured with "sample@abc.com" and Email is triggering successfully.

I need to create Jira tickets for another project Hello from an Email Id "hello@abc.com". Jira tickets are created successfully but Email is not triggering for this project because SMTP server had been configured with "sample@abc.com".

Can you please let me know how to handle this issue?

I am using postfix SMTP server in Linux server.

Please let me know if you need any other information.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 21, 2021

I'd configure the smtp server to use the right address.

Muraleetharan Ramaraj February 21, 2021

Sorry. I couldn't understand it. Can you please explain more?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 21, 2021

You said email is not being triggered because the smtp server had been configured with sample@abc.com - you should configure it to use the intended email address.

Muraleetharan Ramaraj February 23, 2021

Hi Nic Brough,

Thanks for your Email! Finally it works fine.

How to send an Email to Non-Jira users after create an issues?

Muraleetharan Ramaraj February 25, 2021

Can you please help?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 13, 2021

You will need an app that can generate emails without them being licenced users

Suggest an answer