client does not have permissions to send as this sender error in jira.

Neeta Dubey January 12, 2014

We are migrating our outgiong mail server from lotus notes to exchange however JIRA is giving below error while sending email. I checked this error message in outgoing mail log file. do i need to make some changes in JIRA or exchange team should do some settings at their end?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 12, 2014

There's no error here, but if Jira is trying to send mail, the implication is that there's either a misconfiguration in Jira that needs correcting (i.e. the exchange team need to tell you the correct settings to put into Jira to allow it to connect to the mail server) or the mail server is not accepting the mail and the exchange team need to reconfigure it.

Neeta Dubey January 14, 2014

Dear Nic,

One more issue had come at the same time. I am attaching screen shot of ourgoing mail server. Issue is: External email(not having our office email id) are falling up in the error queue at the same email notification has also changed a bit. Earlier it use to show complete name of the person who has edited the ticket(Richa in this screen shot) however after making changes it just show jira_admin.

I can fix this issue by removing username however exchange team is not allowing to do that setting. Is there something else that i can check. Please have a look on the screen shots.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 14, 2014

Hi Neeta,

You can go to your System General Configuration in the Admin pages of JIRA.

Here you can define what is being used as From address name in the Email From setting. If you use ${fullname} it should replace the jira-admin with the name of the user executing the action that causes the notification.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

It already have this setting.

Browse user permission is given to all the user.

The thing that peter asked to check has already that setting. for some reason screen shot is not getting attached.

Email from ${fullname} (OnTrak 2.0)
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2014

I'm not exactly sure what the problem is now, or if there's actually two problems?

I think the first problem you are seeing is that if you try to send email to external users, it is failing? If this is the case, then your Exchange server is the problem - it has been configured to not send mail outside your organisation

I think the second problem is the name vs email address, which Peter has answered, it's not related to your email server. I am a bit stuck if you definitely do have ${fullname} set in the general configuration, although (this is very much a wild guess),could you check who has rights to "browse users" in the global permissions page?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 14, 2014

Ok, it was a bit of a guess, and not that. I'm sorry, I'm stuck on this on the front end - I thnk you need to start digging through your logs and maybe increase the logging settings in the classes that create email (have a look at the "logging and profiling" screen under admin)

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 12, 2014

i dont think its a Jira issue...more likely a Mailer config thing here.

Suggest an answer