child issue inherits closed sprint from parent

We have a feature issue that has been moved to a future sprint twice. Both of the prior sprints have been closed. When adding a child issue to the feature while in the current sprint, this issue also shows up when searching on issues for the prior sprints. 

This seems wrong, given that the child issue was created outside of the prior two sprints.

We are running v6.3.15 of Jira.

1 answer

1 accepted

Subtasks aren't directly part of a sprint, their parent issue is. Perhaps somebody will correct me on this, but when you query the Sprint value of a sub-task, you're actually querying the Sprint value of its parent.

Regardless, this is the expected behavior. A subtask has the same Sprints and Epic Link of its parent in all circumstances. There's no special marker for "the sprint that was open when this issue was created".

I believe there are markers - Active Sprint, Completed Sprints, Future Sprint. If the issue was created later than the close date of a completed sprint, I don't think it should be considered part of that. 

It's not impossible to get that information. There's just no feature that does it. You would need to script a specific JQL function that gets that.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira Software

How large do you think Jira Software can grow?

Hi Atlassian Community! My name is Shana, and I’m on the Jira Software team. One of the many reasons this Community exists is to connect you to others on similar product journeys or with comparabl...

247 views 4 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you