child issue inherits closed sprint from parent

Kris Jones August 10, 2015

We have a feature issue that has been moved to a future sprint twice. Both of the prior sprints have been closed. When adding a child issue to the feature while in the current sprint, this issue also shows up when searching on issues for the prior sprints. 

This seems wrong, given that the child issue was created outside of the prior two sprints.

We are running v6.3.15 of Jira.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2015

Subtasks aren't directly part of a sprint, their parent issue is. Perhaps somebody will correct me on this, but when you query the Sprint value of a sub-task, you're actually querying the Sprint value of its parent.

Regardless, this is the expected behavior. A subtask has the same Sprints and Epic Link of its parent in all circumstances. There's no special marker for "the sprint that was open when this issue was created".

Kris Jones August 10, 2015

I believe there are markers - Active Sprint, Completed Sprints, Future Sprint. If the issue was created later than the close date of a completed sprint, I don't think it should be considered part of that. 

Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 10, 2015

It's not impossible to get that information. There's just no feature that does it. You would need to script a specific JQL function that gets that.

Suggest an answer