changing the JIRA issue my bitbucket commit is linked to

whootang12 November 5, 2012

If I commit a change using the message "EZGC-7 #start this is a test of jira integration", the issue in JIRA named EZGC-7 is linked to that commit. But what if I messed up and meant to type EZGC-3, is there any way to undo the linkage and connect the commit to the correct issue? I can't seem to be able to do anything in JIRa other than view the commit

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
whootang12 November 10, 2012

I spoke with Atlassian on this, there is no way to do this. They added this as a feature request.

Srinivasa Pidathala December 16, 2019

Hello @whootang12 ,

Could you please share the Feature request link here that would be helpful.

Thank you!

Best Regards,

Srinivasa

0 votes
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 6, 2012

You need to stash your changes and get back to the state when you made the commit. Then you can use the commit amend to update the message.

http://blog.jacius.info/2008/6/22/git-tip-fix-a-mistake-in-a-previous-commit/

0 votes
Abdulrazaq Mohammed Ali Omar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 5, 2012

if your commit was the most recent commit then you can use:

git commit --amend -m "New commit message"

and put the correct commit message and Sync your BitBucket account with JIRA, and it will point to the correct JIRA issue after that, you can also use:

git rebase --interactive $parent_of_flawed_commit

If you want to fix several flawed commits, pass the parent of the oldest one of them.

whootang12 November 6, 2012

Sorry, I don't think I made my original question clear:

1. Make my change to the file

2. git add .

3. git commit -m "EZGC-15 issue is fixed"

4. git push

Now, I realize I should have made it "EZGC-14 issue is fixed", how do i update? The command you mentioned requires a merge and then a 2nd commit. If I'm not mistaken, the only time I will see the linked commit in JIRA is after I've pushed my changes, and thus that is the time I'm most likely to find my mistake. You are right that I can amend my message before pushing, but that doesn't help much.

Suggest an answer