changing issue type with required custom fileds

sn December 29, 2017

all,

users of JIRA 7.3 server.

we have custom field "BT" for bug, which is a required field (through field configuration) and moving a story to bug or vice-versa is restricted because of this required custom field.

In some cases, users want the ability to move the Bug to story .The only workaround i know is the "Bulk move". Users want to know if it is possible to still have the custom field only for Bug but have the ability to move them through "Edit screen"

please let me know if this is possible and if so, how can i do this?

thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 29, 2017

You cannot change the issue type with a simple "edit" unless the configuration of the source and target issue types is identical for workflow and fields.

You don't need to use bulk move though, for a single issue, move will also work (just select the same project), and it will prompt for the required fields if necessary.

sn January 2, 2018

thanks Nic.

i din't know about the Workflow. we have 2 different WF's for story and bug but we are okay to have 1 WF for both if needed.

so, in my case because we have different fields, we cannot move story>bug from edit screen.

Like GustavoYANG likes this
sn January 3, 2018

nic - i have the same custom fields and workflow for both story and Bug but still cant edit from edit screen. i dont see the option Bug

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 3, 2018

Either "Bug" is not a valid type for this project, or the configuration is different to the others you do see on the list.  Check all the schemes for differences (although I suspect it's going to be workflow or field configuration)

sn January 4, 2018

you are right nic. after updating the ticket , I did some testing and it is because of the field scheme( we have mandated the custom field for "bug-type" through field scheme.

thanks !

Suggest an answer