changing JIRA comments sort order is not sticky

Nari Man
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 30, 2017

JIRA (7.2 and on-prem) comments are sorted ascending and I click the arrow and they are sorted descending, next time I visit JIRA the comments are again sorted ascending. Why is this setting not sticky? 

We also use JIRA cloud (for some other project) and in that instance this setting is sticky. 

3 answers

1 vote
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2017

Hi Nariman,

I tested this in JIRA 7.6.0 and it behaves like the Cloud version.  There is a workaround you can use in the knowledge base article titled Changing the default order for comments from ascending to descending:

1. Access JIRA's 'Advanced Settings' page. (See Configuring advanced settings for more information.)
  2. Edit the value of the jira.issue.actions.order property by clicking the existing value and changing it from asc to desc
  3. Click the 'Update' button to save the new value in the JIRA database.

Hopefully that helps until you're able to upgrade to a current version.

Cheers,

Branden

Nariman Riahi December 1, 2017

thank Branden, I do not want to change the default sort order. I just want to change it for me and have it stick so I do not have to change it every time. 

Like # people like this
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2017

Hi Nariman,

I see.  I'll do some further research, however, if it's not a feature in 7.2 but it behaves as you're describing in the latest version the remedy may be to upgrade to the latest version (7.6) as it does what you're expecting.

Cheers,

Branden

Nariman Riahi December 1, 2017

thanks. I will ask our IT team to look into upgrading it but that usually takes a while. 

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
December 4, 2017

Hi Nariman,

I definitely understand.  I was unable to determine any other workarounds to get that to stick other than to upgrade.  Hopefully your IT team can get some downtime to do that soon so you'll have this feature in your instance.

Cheers,

Branden

Michael Kulas August 23, 2018

Hi Branden.

We're running Jira 7.9.2 and face the same issue.
Our jira.issue.actions.order=asc and shall not change.
Is there any open issue i can refer to ?

Goran Dermeta September 24, 2018

So has anyone figured it out if this option is sticky only on Cloud, and not on premise?

Or will it work on any version after 9.6?

Matt Parratt October 4, 2018

We run JIRA v7.9.2 and I am not an administrator. It's my personal preference to sort comments in descending order along with previous posts here. Does anyone have a hint on when this will be an option for non-admin users to default this in their preferences?

Ragnar Torfi Jónasson June 5, 2019

There are different views on this, many people like "Ascending" while others prefer "Descending" and their reasoning might be valid, therefore this should be configurable on a personal level through personal preferences. It makes no sense for this kind of configuration to be only on global level

Like JM R_ likes this
Alexander_McCabe July 26, 2019

on-prem Jira v7.13.0, it forgets my preference when I close my browser (Chrome 75.0.3770.142)

Christian Schoenert August 11, 2022

Is anyone else experiencing that 'jira.issue.actions.order' switched to desc after updating Jira >= 9.0.0?

Shirl Lakeway September 14, 2022

I had it switch on me and I've had some user report to me that it will still sort comments descending event with jira.issue.actions.order=asc. 

Jira 9.1.0 DC

Like rcaraboolad likes this
0 votes
Eric Lambart August 30, 2019

If you care about having this as a user preference, please vote for this issue (your login to this community works there too):
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-5443

And maybe this one too, for folks who have surrendered to The Cloud:
https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-5443

Atlassian's been ignoring this request for nearly 15 years now. Maybe because we're writing comments and questions in the "Community" rather than voting for the right issue?

You'd think Atlassian would have figured out how to store user preferences by now. I know that thousands of their customers certainly have figured it out for their own products.

0 votes
Alexander_McCabe July 26, 2019

Here's a Tampermonkey script that reverses the order of comments (just replace the @match with your JIRA url, keeping the /* at the end):

// ==UserScript==
// @name JIRA Comments
// @namespace http://tampermonkey.net/
// @version 0.1
// @description Reverse order of comments, etc.
// @author Alexander McCabe
// @match https://*.atlassian.net/*
// @grant GM_addStyle
// @run-at document-start
// ==/UserScript==

(function() {
'use strict';

GM_addStyle('#issue_actions_container, .activity-comment { display: flex !important; flex-direction: column-reverse !important; }');
GM_addStyle('.actionContainer { order: 1 !important; }');
})();

Updated May 19 2020 to also reverse order of replies

Detlef Däbritz July 30, 2020

To change it in the advanced settings works fine for the whole system and the old view. For the new view unfortunately it doesn't have any influence.

Suggest an answer