changing JIRA UI?

tousifs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2014

Hello All,

As a R & D i want to change JIRA User Interface.

I am planning to override default CSS Files at the same time i want to change Dashboard pages look and feel .

I would be appreaciating your valuable suggections.

Thank you,

Tousif shaikh.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2014

Not a lot to suggest here, other than the recommendation that you don't do it.

Other than that, there isn't really much we can suggest. You might need to delve into the raw Jira code to do it, you might be ok just hacking the downloaded files without recompiling everything. Without knowing what you want to change or why, there's nothing we can suggest beyond "don't"

Whatever you do, you will be making a lot of work for yourself - every upgrade will require you to re-examine and quite possibly re-write all of your changes. You won't be supported or helped with any custom changes you've got.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2014

Not knowing what you want to change as Nic said you're make a long term commitment. You may want to run an cost/benefit analysis by management. You may also break any plug-ins you have or may want in the future. The whole idea of buying a COTS product is to avoid large programing expenses and long term work.

tousifs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 1, 2014
Sounds good BT I could make new copy of CSS and associate jira so it could help while upgrading. I need to add few more classes only plz let me know....
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2014

It's not as simple as "new copy of css so it could help while upgrading". Each and EVERY upgrade is going to require you to re-evaluate every single change you've made away from the baseline. Often it won't change and you'll be fine. Sometimes, you're going to have to throw everything away and start from scratch. EVERY time you change Jira version, and EVERY time you add or even change plugins (Thanks for pointing that out Joe!), you are going to have to reevaluate and test all of your code changes.

As I said before too, we can't really tell you much. "I need to add a few more classes" is far too vague to help out with. Please also bear in mind that what you might think is "a minor change" could need changes in multiple files.

Suggest an answer