change the assign list view

ChenSkyBox April 17, 2018

ive imported the LDAP to the jira and it all goes well. but...

when i open "assignee" field list its shows me all the user name, mail and LDAP username.

same on the costume assignee field. 

how do i remove the mail andLDAP username and see only the name of the user?

TY

image.png

2 answers

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 17, 2018

You can change a system setting in Jira called 'User email visibility' in order to at least hide the email address from appearing here.   Steps on how to do this are in Configuring JIRA application options.

Editing JIRA's general configuration

1. Choose  > System
  2. Select General Configuration to open the Administration page. 
  3. Click the Edit Settings button to edit the three sections as described below:

(info) The Advanced Settings button is only visible if you have the JIRA System Administrators global permission.

If you edit this page, there is an option to change the user email visibility from the default of public to another value, such as hidden:

User email visibility

Controls how users' email addresses are displayed in the user profile page.
- PUBLIC - email addresses are visible to all.
- HIDDEN - email addresses are hidden from all users.
- MASKED - the email address is masked (e.g. 'user@example.com' is displayed as 'user at example dot com').
- LOGGED IN USERS ONLY - only users logged in to JIRA can view the email addresses.
Default: PUBLIC

With this setting on 'hidden', email address will not appear in this menu.  As for removing the actual username, I do not believe there is a way to do this natively in Jira without hacking away at some code.   That username from ldap is also the individuals username as it appears in Jira.  As such, this value is still searchable when assigning an issue.   I do not see a feasible way to obscure that part here, but you should be able to at least hide the email addresses here.

ChenSkyBox April 18, 2018

image.pngTHX it works :)
any suggestion how to hide the LDAP user name? 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 18, 2018

I can't seem to find a way to do this, but I'm also not confident that hiding this element is a good idea here.  The reason I say that is because in Jira, each username must be unique.  However you might have 2 or more users with the same first and last names (like John Smith, or Jane Doe).   Without insight into the unique identifier, it would be much more difficult to determine which account is which.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 18, 2018

Never hide things that show user uniqueness.  I hold up a case where one system had 9 people with similar names and constant complaints about the wrong ones being chosen.

I'm glad you can't do this in Jira, it's a bad bad idea.

0 votes
ChenSkyBox April 17, 2018

in case the image not clear- i want to remove all the mail address 

Suggest an answer