change status field on an issue

Panagiotis Kondilis October 23, 2017

Hello , how can i change the status of a parent issue from your rest api???

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2017

In order to change a status of an issue in Jira, you would have to execute a transition on that issue.  You can do that via the REST API, there is a reference as to the endpoint you would need to call in https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/REST/cloud/#api/2/issue-doTransition

The transition information needed will depend on the workflow for that issue.  So you would likely need to call the getTransitions endpoint to understand what valid transitions exist for that state.

However, within the native Jira code, I do not believe there is a way for you to make a REST call to a subtask issue in order to force the parent issue to run this transition.

Panagiotis Kondilis October 25, 2017

How can i find the workflow that this issue belong??

and

How can i get all the steps of a workflow??

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 25, 2017

The GET /rest/api/2/issue/{issueIdOrKey}/transitions endpoint is only going to show you the transitions that are currently available for that issue based on its current status and the workflow that is bound to that issuetype.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't think there is a way to use the REST API to call up the specific workflow that this issue type is using.  It would be possible to open the issue in the Jira web UI, from there you can click the link for "View Workflow".  This is one way to determine what workflow that issuetype is using.

Suggest an answer