change resolution value

JamesM December 17, 2015

I closed a ticket and later realized additional work is required.  I re-opened the task, but the Resolution field still reads "Deferred", is it does not show up as an open ticket, or appear in reports.  And I don't want to see ALL deferred tickets.

How can I update the value in Resolution so I can continue working on it, and it appears in searches?

3 answers

0 votes
JamesM December 17, 2015

That only works if these was in place BEFORE I re-opened the ticket.  But it wasn't.  What do I do now?  I need all the information and attachments on this re-opened ticket. This is just a value in a database: how can I update this?

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2015

You would have to close it again, then re-open it. The answer is correct; if your "re-open" transition isn't clearing the resolution, then the issue is still resolved, and that's basically a bug in the transition. Well, depending on your needs; I have a re-open transition that doesn't unresolve, then I have a separate unresolve transition, so that "re-opening" has to be validated by the team.

JamesM December 17, 2015

Or I can just clone the ticket, copying everything over to the new ticket. It's incredibly lame that the value of a database field CANNOT be modified; that an accidental closing of a ticket require changing a Workflow? If the answer to my question, "How can I update the value in Resolution so I can continue working on it, and it appears in searches?" is "you can't", you should have led with that.

Jeremy Gaudet
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 17, 2015

You can't, unless the workflow supports it. For example, you can add a "Change Resolution" transition from Closed to Closed, and include a transition screen with "Resolution". Or, yes, you can perform a direct database update, but then you'll have to re-index JIRA, or, at least, the project. This is not recommended.

JamesM December 17, 2015

That's fine. Thanks.

Dennis Poort December 17, 2015

I would like to add that the answer of Jeremy seems correct, and the way you reply about him having to start his answer in a certain way is really ungrateful. Respect the time people give you please.

0 votes
Chander Inguva
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 17, 2015
Create a transition when you re-open to go to Open state and add a transition screen to pop resolution field.
Then add a post function to update resolution value to xyz when it is reopened.
Hope this helps
Regards
Chander Inguva
0 votes
JamesM December 17, 2015

For my reference: FOXWWW-398.

Suggest an answer