cataJira not accessible after "wizard" installation

avrilverhaeghen August 18, 2014

Hi!

I've installed Jira (trial for testing purposing) on a DigitalOcean Linux Server using the linux 64bit. installer. Used the Express install method. Installation went well and after finishing the installation I went to http://myserverip.domain:8080 but I got nothing, but then I remembered that this server has the default ubuntu apache installed (it's a server for demo purposes and forgot about it :p ).

So I changed the ports in the server.xml and wanted to reboot tomcat apache. Used the command shutdown.sh in the bin folder. But then I got this error:

Server startup logs are located in /opt/atlassian/jira/logs/catalina.out

Using CATALINA_BASE: /opt/atlassian/jira

Using CATALINA_HOME: /opt/atlassian/jira

Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /opt/atlassian/jira/temp

Using JRE_HOME: /opt/atlassian/jira/jre/

Using CLASSPATH: /opt/atlassian/jira/bin/bootstrap.jar:/opt/atlassian/jira/bin/tomcat-juli.jar

Using CATALINA_PID: /opt/atlassian/jira/work/catalina.pid

PID file found but no matching process was found. Stop aborted.

I'm looking on the forums, atlassian answer sites, stackoverflow. But can't seem to find the answer.

If anyone can help me out here?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2014

Actually, there's no real error here. It's just telling you that when you shut it down, a file with a process id was found, but nothing was running with the ID found. IT will have cleaned up and carried on fine.

Try restarting it next and see what happens. The most important log file though, is "atlassian-jira.log" in whatever your jira-home/logs directory is. If that never gets created, then the catalina.out is the next place to read.

avrilverhaeghen August 18, 2014

Restarting always gave me the same message. Tried it several times.

Didn't knew about the atlassian-jira.log, knew about the other log files, but didn't get any good information in there. I'll try again this evening and check the atlassian-jira.log file.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 18, 2014

Just for information, the catalina.out log is a good place to look - that logs what Tomcat is doing, and it's a good place to look for the serious "I cannot start this at all" errors. Atlassian-jira.log only gets written to when Tomcat can load Jira ok and start it. Even if it fails and shuts down shortly after startup, you should get told why in there!

avrilverhaeghen September 2, 2014

Hi,

Didn't had the chance to check this issue out, was sick for a while :(. But I've checked catalina.out and it seems that there isn't enough free memory on my server.

Will have to upgrade then I think :).

Suggest an answer