cascading select fields

Azeb Gedamu January 23, 2014

I have a custom field with a cascading list that has two levels; Parent lists and then a coresponding child list. How to Edit the name of the parent list in JIRA 3.x.

10 answers

1 vote
Majo November 3, 2020

Hi,

In the 'Edit' options screen, in the 'choose parent list to edit' menu you can select 'Edit Parent select list' option to Edit the parent values. 

It's not very intuitive design from Atlassian I must say.

(Tested in JIRA 8.5.)

Capture.PNG

Anna Dziubańska February 11, 2021

thank you for this!

i was staring at this screen and didn't know how to edit it - while you are already in the edit mode when seeing the above.

Indeed not intuitive at all!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 24, 2014

I can confirm this - the abiltity to edit (and disable) custom field options was added around version 4.3 (my memory isn't great - I know it was NOT in 4.2, and it was definitely in 5.0, I'm just hazy about 4.3 or 4.4)

Version 3 of Jira simply does not have any edit facility. The only way to do it is with massive risky SQL hacking.

0 votes

After I hit Edit from the first screen, it will only give me option to Add more child lists or delete child lists (second screen)

0 votes

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 23, 2014

Did you select Edit Options? That should allow you to change both levels of the field.

0 votes

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2014

Thats interesting. Have you selected View Custom Field Configurations? Does that give you any other options? You would think there would be an edit button on both since that would allow you to edit the field.

0 votes

The above is View custom field configuration. From that screen, I will click on Edit option and it will take me righ to the first screen I send to you.

Is there any other way that you know?

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2014

The current way it is and I am sure it has changed since JIRA 3. Clicking Edit Options takes me to a list of my parent fields and then I can edit that parent field or drill down to the children. Here is what it looks like for me.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2014

Ah ok sorry for the misunderstanding.

Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 24, 2014

Agreed. I just dont think the functionality is there in this version.

Azeb Gedamu January 24, 2014

You are right. I have a test upgraded version 5.2 and I can edit the Parent list with no proble. I just wish there was a way to Edit on 3.x because that is curently our production version.

0 votes
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2014

Interesting I thought there was a configure or an edit button on there. Any possible way you could provide a screenshot?

0 votes

0 votes

It only gives me an option to add more options to the child list. Someone before me has created this field and the users are now asking for some of parent lists to be changed.

0 votes
Bryan Trummer
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2014

It has been a while since I have been on JIRA 3, does it not you give you the option to edit the parent list when you go to configure?

Suggest an answer