cannot modify config/server.xml

Yilei Zhong March 22, 2014

Hi i am new to jira.

I want to modify the file conf/server.xml under the jira installation directory.

But when i want to save the file, it shows the file already opened in another program.

I already closed the jira service and also run the shutdown script.

And also tried restart the windows system. (I know the jira service will automaticly start, so i already turn if off).

after restarting, still cannot modify the file

I don't know why.. any thoughts?

thanks a lot

5 answers

1 vote
Norman Abramovitz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 23, 2014

Use an open file utility to determine which process has the file open. Since you mentioned windows, look on the sysinternals website. There are a few programs listed that will do this task nicely.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb545027.aspx

0 votes
Jonathan January 5, 2015

Hi,

It was file permissions for me.  I had to open my text editor as Administrator and then edit the file as a quick fix.  Best of luck!

0 votes
btan-g2g March 23, 2014

Hi,

First, check the file permission and make sure you have the permission.

If you are sure that you can modify the file,then make sure you shutdown JIRA. Killall java process if possible, then try it again.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2014

If your editor is showing this problem then it's exactly what it says in the message - you've still got the file open elsewhere.

Check that Jira really is shut down first, but it's unlikely to be that because it only reads the file at startup and doesn't hold it open.

You'll need to find out what you've opened the file with elsewhere and fix that.

Zul NS _Atlassian_
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 23, 2014

Probably config.bat/sh is running?

0 votes
Yilei Zhong March 22, 2014

upupup

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 22, 2014

down down down

Suggest an answer