cannot enable "simplified workflow" even with all the conditions fulfilled.

sn March 1, 2018

hi all,

JIRA 7.3 server users.

I m trying to enable the simply workflow from kanban board but I get the you cannot use simplified message

all the conditions for simplified WF are satisfied. so, I'm not sure what is causing the issue.

Only 1 WF for all issue types

filter is going off of only 1 project

I have permissions

the workflow has more than 1 transition for each status.

we only use the generic post-conditions( copied the WF from JIRA default ).do not have any add-ons that were used in post-condition, validator, condition.

thanks !

2 answers

0 votes
011_avinash December 28, 2023

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- and @Peter DeWitt sorry to bring this post alive after 6+ years. I faced this issue recently with error message as  - "The Workflow is assigned to workflow schemes", when I am trying to simplifying one Jira Workflow.

I am using very basic workflow as below :

Screen Shot 2023-12-28 at 13.34.52.png

My board filter also consists of only one project. I am using Jira Cloud version.

Can you please help ?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2023

The error message is not well written, in my humble opinion, but it is telling you what is wrong.

The workflow is used by more than one workflow scheme, and those workflow schemes are being used by projects that your board does not include.

To fix this, 

• Create a new workflow scheme
  • Copy the workflow you want to use
  • Add the copied workflow to the new workflow scheme
  • Associate the new workflow scheme with the project(s) included in the board
  • You will now be able to simplify the board's workflow
0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 1, 2018

You issues need to be able to move freely from status to status.  Essentially this means that each status should have the select allow all statuses to transition checked.  This is the most common issue I see. 

pjd

sn March 1, 2018

thanks peter.. That's what I thought. I was able to make the change with an older workflow which had all-all but I was not sure.

so, if the work flow is customized and doesn't allow all-all then this wouldn't work ?

If this is the case, this should be called out in the Atlassian Documents.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 1, 2018

Actually, most of that does not matter. 

The "simplify workflow" button takes your list of status in the current workflow, throws away all the transitions except "create", and creates a set of "all" transitions into each status.

If your current workflow is the default Jira one, you are an admin (Jira or System), and the board filter is as simple as "Project = X", then the simplify button will work. 

If your board filter is more complex, then have another look at it - make sure that it only draws in one single project.

If your workflow is not one of the off-the-shelf ones (default or created by one of the standard project templates), then check that there is a transition out of every status, and there are no post-functions, validators or conditions provided by add-ons (although, I've found in most cases, that doesn't matter, as clicking simplify just scribs them)

sn March 2, 2018

Nic,

The workflow is not default. I have created it with some custom statuses and transitions but all statuses have more than 1 out going transitions. we do not have any add-on's.

my concern is more of users having the ability to "simplify workflow" from the board(we are working on permissions and the way our permissions are set, some users who created boards( board admins) and a "X" user group can make the WF simplified from board).

I was working on permissions and I noticed the no option to simplify and went digging into that.

since workflow export will remove any plug-in items, I tried to export the workflow. I see that the "Update Issue Field" post function is called out. I thought this is JIRA's post function.

is it not ? if so, what is the plug-in linked to it ?

thanks !

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 3, 2018

Ah, I see the problem.

Only system and Jira administrators can simplify a workflow.  Non-admin users cannot do it.  They can be board and project admins, but that does not give them the right to simplify.

Think of it as a flag that system admins can set to say "board admins can now edit workflows"

sn March 5, 2018

ok Nic ! I'm the JIRA Admin and like I said I cannot simplify this particular WF.

since workflow export will remove any plug-in items, I tried to export the workflow. I see that the "Update Issue Field" post function is called out. I thought this is JIRA's post function.

is it not ? if so, what is the plug-in linked to it ?

thanks !

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2018

Update issue field is a native post-function.

I can't see why you can't simplify - what does the "cannot simplify" message tell you?

sn March 6, 2018

it gives me no information.. just this button. I'm able to simplify another WF ( this has allow all statuses to transition checked )

Capture.JPG

Like Fazila Ashraf likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2018

Ok, we'll have to check the detail of why manually.

• What does the board filter say exactly?
  • What does the workflow scheme for the project say?
  • What does your workflow look like?
  • Can you edit the workflow and remove all post-functions other than the standard 5, all conditions and all validators (you won't be using them in a simplified workflow anyway, so there's no harm in removing them now)
sn March 8, 2018

Nic- I looked at the questions and see my answers below -

• What does the board filter say exactly?

project = X ORDER BY Rank ASC

• What does the workflow scheme for the project say?

The workflow scheme has only 1 workflow for all issue types

• What does your workflow look like?

The wokflow has 1 or more outgoing transitions for each status

• Can you edit the workflow and remove all post-functions other than the standard 5, all conditions and all validators (you won't be using them in a simplified workflow anyway, so there's no harm in removing them now)

I deleted the extra post functions and there are no conditions or validators.

Still unable to see the simplified button

Thanks !

Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 16, 2018

@sn, Just a thought, what if you created a new workflow with  all the required statuses you and nothing else.  Make sure each status has the allow all statuses to transition to this status checked and then replace your current workflow.  Check the simplify workflow button after that.

Suggest an answer