cannot change default issue type story

steve moffat May 27, 2016

We are testing JIRA v7.1.6#71010-sha1:428b2b3.

After the upgrade, for non-admin users, the default Issue Type has changed from "bug" to "Story".  I am unable to change the default back to "bug" for the users.

Following steps here: https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-change-the-default-issue-type-displayed-at-the-create-issue-screen-707986896.html

No matter what I set, the user always sees "Story" in the Create dialog.

Is this a bug, or am I missing something?

3 answers

0 votes
Paul Stahlke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2016

We are on JIRA 7.1.9, and even though our issue type scheme has "Story" as the default, it is defaulting to "Bug" for us.  What's going on?

0 votes
steve moffat May 31, 2016

Thanks Goeff.  I created a new user, with access to only one project.  When I create an issue with this user the default is now "Bug", which is what I expect.  The issue I was asking about may just be JIRA trying to be helpful, by changing the issue type to the value I used previously.  (although I am not sure if it does this, it is one way I can explain why I don't see the detault issue type.  Once I open an issue with type :Bug" subsequent create dialogs default to "Bug". A bit more testing is required on my part, but it looks like if I change the default immediately after the upgrade, users will not be impacted.

0 votes
Geoff Wilson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 27, 2016

If you followed those steps and are already used to customizing JIRA (this is an upgrade for you after all), then this shouldn't be the issue, but I have to write it just to make sure (forgive me if this is something you may already know).  Since the Default Issue Type is specified in the Issue Type Scheme, this particular Issue Type Scheme was selected for each and every Project that they are trying to create issues for, right? 

Suggest an answer