can the list of "valid values" for a given custom field id be different for different request types

David Errick November 18, 2020

can the list of "valid values" for a given custom field id be different for different request types - or service desks,  or is the list always the same.  I am asking because  the label for the custom field, and the if it is required, can be different for different request types.  

I am writing a rest api application.  the download from the server of the fields includes all the valid values (if any) for each field in each request type in each service desk. 

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

Not directly by request.  But you can have select-list fields have different lists by issue type, so if your requests are mapped to different issue types, their select list options can be different.

David Errick November 18, 2020

Just so that I understand this, "different lists by issue type" would mean in a different service desk, or does this mean that a custom fields id could be reused for different types, eg. option, array, option-with-child?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 18, 2020

Not quite, you don't need to do it by different service desks. 

I think it mght be easier for my writing if I start from the field.

Fields in Jira all have a "context".  Some fields are automatically global, and their context is "every issue type and every project", but custom fields can be set to have contexts that are done by project or issue type (so a field might only exist in projects X, Y and Z, or the field only exists for the issue types of Bug and Feature).

These contexts are not just about the places the field exists.  You can do things like having field context 1 for Bugs, field context 2 for Features and field context 3 for Story.  The same field exists for all three issue types, but if the field is a select list, the context also contains the list of options available.

Jira Service Desk layers "Requests" on top of issues, and the Requests take their fields from the underlying issues.

So, let's say you have a field for "colour".  It should offer Red, Green and Blue on Requests for "light" and cyan, magenta, yellow and black for requests for "ink".  You'll need to set up two issue types, with 1:1 mappings (to keep it simple, have an issue type of light and another, ink).  Then give the colour field two contexts, one for each issue type. 

Suggest an answer