can't edit shared filter that i own

Lex Hudson January 10, 2018

I have created a shared filter and shared it with a project but can't determine how I can now edit that filter. Please advise. 

• (v7.5.1#75006-sha1:7df2574) 

13 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

Hi Lex,

Take a look at the Using Filters documentation for steps to edit a filter:

Updating a filter

You can update the details – name, description, sharing, favorite – as well as the search criteria of an existing filter.

Please note that you can only update filters that you have created. To edit a filter that was shared with you, either clone (aka copy) the shared filter or ask your JIRA administrator to change the filter's ownership.

To update an existing filter:

1. Choose Issues > Manage Filters.
  2. Click the My tab. This tab displays all the filters that have been created by you.
  3. Locate the filter you wish to update, click the cog icon and select Edit from the dropdown menu.
  4. The Edit Current Filter page displays, where you can update the filter details as required. To change the sharing or favorite settings, refer to the relevant instructions below.

If the filter sharing functions shown above are not available to you, you probably do not have the Create Shared Object global permission assigned to you. Please contact your JIRA administrator to obtain this permission.
  5. Click Save to save your changes.

To update the search criteria of one of your existing filters:

1. Choose Issues > Manage Filters.
  2. Click the My tab. This tab displays the filters that you've created.
  3. Click the name of the filter to run it and display the search results.
  4. Update the search criteria as desired and rerun the query to ensure the update is valid. You will see the word Edited displayed next to your filter name.
  5. Click Save to overwrite the current filter with the updated search criteria. If you want discard your changes instead, click the arrow next to the save button and select Discard changes.

Hopefully that helps!

Cheers,

Branden

Lex Hudson January 10, 2018

Thanks for your guidance and help.

Cheers,

Lex..

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 10, 2018

It was my pleasure.  Let us know if you need anything else.

Scott Hiser October 19, 2020

If you see below, this is still an issue. It's marked as complete and you may not get notices. I thought replying to your comment here would help bring attention to this.

4 votes
David Clark September 21, 2020

Same here. I get the following message when trying to save a filter that I created,

This filter was created by David Clark. You can save a copy of this filter but you cannot modify the original.

Even though I am David Clark it will not allow me to edit the filter.

Lasse H July 13, 2021

Exactly the same here.

Wonder if Atlassian monitors these threads at all, since an answer has been accepted.

Like Derek Jackson likes this
Andrew Stanton October 3, 2021

I get this when I click "Save As", but not when "Save" is what is present. I'm seeing "Save As" because I havent changed anything. So for my scenario it looks like JIRA is reporting a misleading or incorrect error message.

Like Denis Goodwin likes this
Derek Jackson August 21, 2023

It's 2023 and this is still an issue. Yikes. 

Like Louis Wu likes this
Rommel P September 5, 2023

This workaround seems to work for me:
1) Log out then log back in (I've also thrown in a Clear Cache in between, but that doesn't seem to matter)
2) Select the filter and click Search
3) Edit the filter query (If this is going to work, "Save" button should now be visible instead of "Save As")
4) Click Search then Save
5) If you have more filters to edit, repeat from step 1

4 votes
Dirk Van Leeuwen September 3, 2020

This doesn't work for me either, and since my dashboard is set up to a particular filter, I can not longer simply edit the filter to reflect the current sprint and have the dashboard update as well.

3 votes
Scott Hiser May 6, 2020

This does not work for me. Self-Hosted. This is very frustrating, it seems temperamental. 

Immediately after I create a filter and save it, it cannot be edited. It hasn't been shared, the details hasn't even been edited. The search criteria input field just doesn't appear at all after running the filter.

Once in a blue moon it seems to work.

The assumption is when I view "My" filters, click the name and run the query, that I can edit the JQL I just wrote 30 seconds ago if I need to make a change. I cannot do that.

Inspecting the HTML, the "search query component" is hidden. If I delete the hidden class from the style, the search box appears but it does not contain the JQL.

2 votes
David Clark December 14, 2021

I have noticed that I cannot save a modified filter query until I click Search first. The query needs to be executed before it can be saved.

Michele Bazzani December 16, 2021

Yeah it doesn't work for the sharing :(

Patrick Aupin January 6, 2023

Wow!. thank you so much for posting that. Sorry Atlassian doesn't read those threads to see they have a bug. So once you push "Search" it's now marked as "edited" and the Save as becomes a "Save" because the system know I'm the owner.

2 votes
Stephan Wertjanz May 29, 2018

"Manage filters" was moved to "View all filters" in the new UI. After i made a dashboard for my colleagues and share it, i couldn't find it too...

Werti_2018-05-29 11_44_53.jpg

1 vote
Lasse H July 11, 2021

Same problem here (Cloud). When editing a Filter that I own, but which is shared with members in a Project, I cannot overwrite it, only save as a new filter. That is not optimal.

1 vote
Nancy Pratt January 12, 2021

I have a similar problem. Some of my filters can be edited in the basic search mode, but others only display the advanced JQL edit bar. I noticed that the problematic filters have the "basic" button greyed out. When I hover over it, it says "This query is too complex to display in simple mode."

What made it too complex? I thought it was because I added too many creators to my filter, but it turns out that the problem is related to a user who is no longer with the company. Once I edited the JQL query to remove the user, the "basic" option became active and I can edit the filter now.

I'm not sure what happens to old issues filed by a userid that is no longer valid. 

1 vote
Christel Gray October 19, 2020

I'm a Jira (cloud) admin and can modify and save my filters with no issues. I also have other users that can do this with no problem. However, I have one user who has the same issue as Helen and David. She has the same permissions as other users who can modify and save their issues.

Scott Hiser October 19, 2020

Are you on self-hosted, cloud, and what version? We can still not edit ours, we are self-hosted and on 8.5.7.

Christel Gray July 12, 2021

We're on cloud.

1 vote
Helen Ioffe September 18, 2020

Same here - this is very frustrating and a big issue for someone who is using it. once created the filter cannot be edited. This used to work 

what happened?

0 votes
Piotr Janik May 26, 2022

For those who fall outside of the marked answer: one possible cause is https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-61158

0 votes
Michele Bazzani December 14, 2021

Has there been any feedback from Atlassian on this?  We have the same issue with a user who created a filter and a board and the filter went private and they are UNABLE to share it.  As an Org Admin, I feel I should have access to share that filter and apparently I do not.  This is a major issue, what if a FTE decides they are leaving the org and are mad so they go in and change the filter to private and then leave?  All the work and organization for that board is lost.

Lasse H August 13, 2021

Thanks, Eugene. Doesn't work for me though, after 10+ reloads.

However I later realised that the filter actually autosaves, which is kind of stupid, but nevertheless that seems to work.

Suggest an answer