can not resolve an issue

Dennis Clarke April 14, 2016

For some reason I have a new issue in a new install of JIRA and the "Resolution" field is permanently "Unresolved " and there is no where to change this.  What does one do to resolve a task?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2016

There are a couple of ways to do this:

• Add a transition screen on your JIRA Resolve/Close transition and put the "Resolution" field in there (make it required if you like) so that it will/can be populated during this transition.
  • Add a post-function to automatically puts up a value on the "Resolution" field line "done". 

Never ever add the "Resolution" field on the "Edit Screen". This may seem another way to populate fields in a JIRA issue but this is not applicable to the resolution field. Once you hit that "Edit" button and "Resolution" is in the Edit screen, a value will be selected for it, hence resolving the issue (in JIRA terms) even though all you did was just edit the issue details 

Beautiful answer and quick too! Thank you. I understand why the field should not be on an editable form and that makes total sense when I think about it. However I am a bit baffled about how to "Add a transition screen".  I think the easy thing is that any task marked "done" should be "Resolved" at the same time.

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 14, 2016

No problemo!

• Create a "New Screen" in the JIRA admin menu and name this screen like "My Project Close Screen", add the fields you like to be populated during a Close transition, like the resolution field.
  • In your Project's workflow transition, edit the transition where you like the resolution setting to happen and add the screen you have created before in the "Transition Screen".

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 14, 2016

Just to add to Gabrielle's great answer – Some of the brand-new default workflows in JIRA simply set the default Resolution instead of having a screen. In those cases, you'd need to modify the workflow and add your own transition screen as Gabrielle indicates.

I have yet to implement this change and I don't have it working yet. Also, earlier, I was blocked from posting on this site because I had asked questions and don't have "points".

Dennis Clarke April 18, 2016

Days later. I managed to hunt around and eventually found a way to add a screen. Which I did. See picture. Now I need to figure out how to edit a workflow and insert this into the process BEFORE an issue is marked "done".  Really, this feels like a large bug because an issue that is "done" should be automatically "Resolved". resolve_issue_screen.png

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

Go to your workflow,find the "Status" from where you want to be this added then click the transition where you will actually add this screen.

Dennis Clarke April 18, 2016

I think I have it .. however this still leaves an issue marked "done" and I can not move it backwards in the work flow and then resolve it. cns_done_transition.png

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 18, 2016

You have 2 ways to fix issues that have been left out:

• Bulk Edit - craft a JQL to retrieve affected issues then do a bulk edit for the resolution
  • Post Function - create a transition from "Done" to "Done" then add the screen with the resolution field

Suggest an answer