can I use a combination of numbers and letter for version naming in Jira?

Arya Oliya May 5, 2016

As a product manager I would like to register Hotfixes in Jira. We use Release version to register and trace the issues which are meant for that specific release. We use release version 1001.0 for basic release and 1001.0.1 for update or servicepack. Now my question, Can I use e.g release version 1001.0.Hotfix1 for registering the hotfixes? Can I use release version therefor or is there any other way to do that? 

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2016

Yes, versions can be given any text name you want.

0 votes
Arya Oliya May 5, 2016

Thanks Nic,

Is there any other way do register and trace the Hotfixes? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2016

I don't know.  I tend to use the Bamboo build stuff to work out what's where, but the JIRA versions, I just use the names, as you've suggested.

Arya Oliya May 5, 2016

thanks again Nic. I am looking for a way to proof that we can use release versions to register the hotfixes inside our company without any administration errors later.

Suggest an answer