can I put estimates on my stories once my sprint has started in Rapid Boards?

Nancy Pham July 10, 2013

I've started a sprint in my Rapid Scrum Board, now I want to go back and put estimates on issues that did not have them before.

But it looks like the ability to edit is no longer there in the issue detail view (where the pencil use to pop up)

Is there a way to put estimates once a sprint has started?

6 answers

0 votes
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 16, 2015
0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2013

If I start a sprint with issues without estimates (estimate and track in story points), I get the following warning: "Issue PLAYGROUND-66 does not have a value for the 'Estimate' field. Values entered after the start of the sprint will be treated as scope change." Entering work mode disables the estimate field that you could alter in plan mode.

If you want to add a value to this field in work mode, you have to go to edit mode for the issue. And NB: adding a value here during the sprint will be considered a scope change.

If you cannot see the estimate field in edit-mode, I would have a chat with my admin, or use the "configure fields" possibility in the upper right corner of the "edit issue" screen (if available).

Marla Landolt February 1, 2014

The question thread is old, but nevertheless current for me now.

How to add seems clear, at least possible - but

Question: will the completion of the sprint count these story point changes that ocurred DURING the sprint? I did that and the Velocity on that sprint changed to '0'...(pending support issue with altlassian)

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 2, 2014

It should at least with the latest versions. But again I believe that Atlassian has had quite a number of issues related to this so you never know...

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2013

Use the estimate fileds (or the story point field, depending on how you estimate stories) in your issue "edit screen" in JIRA

Nancy Pham July 11, 2013

I've tried - those fields are not on my issues. I'm talking specifically about the Rapid Boards. When you are planning sprints in Rapid Boards and move your issues to the sprints, you can put estimate on them in the Rapid Board mode - the estimate seems like it only relates to Rapid Boards it does not show up in my issue.

However, after I've started my sprint, the ability to edit those estimate on my Rapid Boards are not longer there.

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 11, 2013

gotcha, sorry I could not help.

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

I mean clicking on the comma ',' key. This (at least in JIRA) will bring up a box which will allow you to navigate to a field directly by typing in the field name.

Nancy Pham July 11, 2013

Yes - i know what you mean, the keyboard shortkeys to "Go to a Field" and edit it. Unfortunately that doesn't work since the field "Estimate" isn't even on the issue itself. It's only visible in the Rapid Boards.

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

have you tried typing , which should bring up the field box and allow you to go directly to a field to edit if you start typing in the field.

Nancy Pham July 10, 2013

Yes - I can't even click on the field to start typing . It won't let me type anything and it's not on the issue field itself. The estimate is located on the Rapid Board view in the Plan and Work Mode.

Suggest an answer