It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

can I do a "comment out" in a JQL statement

Can you make a comment out situation in a JQL string?   Like you can in html  <!-- text --> 

thanks

John

4 answers

Curious. What's the need for the comment out? I don't remember JQL having that feature.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching

Steven Behnke Community Leader Dec 10, 2015

I don't think it has a comment ability either, you're right. Sometimes it'd be nice to leave comments in a query though, just to be nice to others if a query is complex.

I need this in order to implement a hack to refresh a JIRA query in Google Data Studio.  I need some part of a JQL query string to change - without affecting its function, so that the sheet refreshes.

1 vote

any answer to this questions? I need to put a comment on a query to help me track time. 

I would love to have this feature as well.

Same here, hope they will have this feature similar to any other query command.

0 votes
Kevin He I'm New Here Sep 18, 2019

yes, I'm hoping for this feature avialabe soon, it will help me to trace my issues 

I really need something like this.

I'm the "go to guy" for JIRA queries in my company, so I get to make extremely complex filters. I'm talking things like nesting filters in filters 3-4 deep, with each filter full of nested "LinkedIssuesFromQuery" parameters. And I've actually run into the maximum number of parameters that I can put in just one filter.

So yea, Really Complex.

I've been trying to fake comments by putting in parameters that are really just comments. Stuff like " AND summary !~ "This part does blah, for this reason, on this date."

If there was actually a way to Comment, for real, in the jql, I would be so ecstatic.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

363 views 1 3
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you