can I do a "comment out" in a JQL statement

John Pfotzer December 10, 2015

Can you make a comment out situation in a JQL string?   Like you can in html  <!-- text --> 

thanks

John

4 answers

4 votes
Aaron Turner November 18, 2019

I really need something like this.

I'm the "go to guy" for JIRA queries in my company, so I get to make extremely complex filters. I'm talking things like nesting filters in filters 3-4 deep, with each filter full of nested "LinkedIssuesFromQuery" parameters. And I've actually run into the maximum number of parameters that I can put in just one filter.

So yea, Really Complex.

I've been trying to fake comments by putting in parameters that are really just comments. Stuff like " AND summary !~ "This part does blah, for this reason, on this date."

If there was actually a way to Comment, for real, in the jql, I would be so ecstatic.

Gregory_Randall February 13, 2020

BTW - this is hilarious and brilliant at the same time.  Thx for sharing- I will be doing this.

Dennis T April 24, 2020

Doing summary !~ in JQL might exclude tickets you want. I use (comment !~ "**Missing labels**" OR commentsCount >= 0) instead.

1 vote
Kevin He September 18, 2019

yes, I'm hoping for this feature avialabe soon, it will help me to trace my issues 

1 vote
Scarlet Fitness June 20, 2019

any answer to this questions? I need to put a comment on a query to help me track time. 

rtapayan September 7, 2019

I would love to have this feature as well.

retcheltapayan September 7, 2019

Same here, hope they will have this feature similar to any other query command.

Kevin Gordon June 22, 2021

same here .. being able to add comments in any type of coding language is a great feature like in REXX I would use a /* all your comments here */ 

Like rtapayan likes this
1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2015

Curious. What's the need for the comment out? I don't remember JQL having that feature.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Advanced+Searching

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 10, 2015

I don't think it has a comment ability either, you're right. Sometimes it'd be nice to leave comments in a query though, just to be nice to others if a query is complex.

Chris Hatton May 14, 2019

I need this in order to implement a hack to refresh a JIRA query in Google Data Studio.  I need some part of a JQL query string to change - without affecting its function, so that the sheet refreshes.

Suggest an answer