can I create an approval with validator function?

Alfred Lam July 31, 2017

I tried but it doesnt work.

after config the approval function, when approver click the approve button, the status will change without doing validator checking.

3 answers

1 vote
Shaakunthala July 31, 2017

It would have been much easier to help you if you could give us some information.

Is this Apporve button a workflow transition?

Can you please show us your code?

Thanks!

Shaakunthala

Alfred Lam July 31, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-08-01 at 1.10.20 PM.pngthe approval is set in the status,

the validator is set in the transition(IT approved).

However, the validator doesn't work. Jira ignores the validator.

Shaakunthala August 1, 2017

This is new to me, as I haven't used ServiceDesk.

I tried to re-create your problem, and instead of a simple validator I used a script validator. 

Selection_137.png

After approving a test issue, validator status was still shown as "Has not run yet.", which means JIRA bypasses validators in case of approvals.

So, the answer to your question is No. A workaround may be possible - but there will be compromises.

Shaakunthala

Susan Hauth _Jira Queen_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 1, 2017

Did you try using a condition instead of a validator?

Alfred Lam August 1, 2017

tried. condition doesnt work too.

Shaakunthala August 1, 2017

Although approvals and workflow transitions look visually similar to the end user, JIRA internally organizes approvals in a different way (meta data tags in workflow XML rather than action). I think this gives an indication that conditions and validators won't work here.

What you can do here is, forget approvals feature and create your own transitions called Approve/ Decline. If you have Script Runner add-on you can write a custom validator for 'x number of approvers' feature too.

Thanks.

Shaakunthala

Alfred Lam August 1, 2017

But I want to let the approver receive email to notify him to approve. the approver is set by the customer using custom field.

How can i do that?

0 votes
Peter-Dave Sheehan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2021

Anyone still encountering this, you may want to vote on: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDSERVER-6342

My experience is that JSM approvals ignore all Conditions and Validators.

0 votes
Alfred Lam July 31, 2017

__

Patrick Smith February 15, 2019

anyone find an answer to this?

Jay Keck April 6, 2020

I'm hitting that wall ight now myself. The only thing I can see to do if I still want the Jira generated email telling user to approve or decline. Is to have another node after the approval that then transitions to the actual status I want the accept or reject to end up at. Seems really inefficient and not intuitive.

I want my approve/decline choices to go to Closed status with either approve or declined resolutions, but only if certain custom fields have been filled in. Bit now I have to either force them to enter these fields earlier than they may want to (before getting to approve/decline status) or add this dummy status after the approval status that allows me to have a validation and transition screen.

Suggest an answer