bulk transition issues to set assignee == reporter

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2014

Hi All

I have a specific requirement on jira (jira5.0.2)

I want to be able to bulk transition multiple issues to set their assignee as their reporter.

It is very tedious to edit each issue manually and set the assignee as its reporter (for testing purposes).

I want to make use of the bulk change feature but do not know how do i bulk change multiple issues to set assignee as the reporter.

Rahul

2 answers

1 vote
Vincent Thoulé
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 16, 2014

You can also desgin a Global Transition with "Assign to Reporter" post-function in concerned Workflows (with correct conditions for restricting to Administrator).

Also, you will have just to perform a Bulk Transition.

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2014

I'm afraid you can't do it. Bulk edits set "field = absolute-value", not "field = some data extracted from somewhere else"

Your choices are to break up your bulk edits, or start coding/scripting. (Breaking the edits up means "filter for reporter = A, set all assignees to A, filter for reporter =B, set all assignees to B, etc)

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2014

Thanks Nic for your comments, assuming we rule out bulk edit option, what other options we have to achieve my need (assign assign=reporter)

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2014

Scripting/coding is the next step.

Do you have the script-runner add-on installed? That would let you do it without having to write more add-ons.

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2014

Hi Nic, yes i do have script runner. Any high-level suggestions on how that can be used to achieve my need..

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2014

Run a query, for each issue update it so that reporter = assignee or whatever.

It's going to take you longer than doing it manually if you don't have experience, but it will set you up to do more automation tasks in the future.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 16, 2014

Or similar to Vincent's suggest - create a global transition with a post-function that executes one line of script:

reporter = assignee

(make sure it's first post-function in the list). And then bulk transition all issues through that transition.

Suggest an answer