bulk transition issues to set assignee == reporter

Hi All

I have a specific requirement on jira (jira5.0.2)

I want to be able to bulk transition multiple issues to set their assignee as their reporter.

It is very tedious to edit each issue manually and set the assignee as its reporter (for testing purposes).

I want to make use of the bulk change feature but do not know how do i bulk change multiple issues to set assignee as the reporter.

Rahul

2 answers

1 vote

I'm afraid you can't do it. Bulk edits set "field = absolute-value", not "field = some data extracted from somewhere else"

Your choices are to break up your bulk edits, or start coding/scripting. (Breaking the edits up means "filter for reporter = A, set all assignees to A, filter for reporter =B, set all assignees to B, etc)

Thanks Nic for your comments, assuming we rule out bulk edit option, what other options we have to achieve my need (assign assign=reporter)

Scripting/coding is the next step.

Do you have the script-runner add-on installed? That would let you do it without having to write more add-ons.

Hi Nic, yes i do have script runner. Any high-level suggestions on how that can be used to achieve my need..

Run a query, for each issue update it so that reporter = assignee or whatever.

It's going to take you longer than doing it manually if you don't have experience, but it will set you up to do more automation tasks in the future.

Or similar to Vincent's suggest - create a global transition with a post-function that executes one line of script:

reporter = assignee

(make sure it's first post-function in the list). And then bulk transition all issues through that transition.

You can also desgin a Global Transition with "Assign to Reporter" post-function in concerned Workflows (with correct conditions for restricting to Administrator).

Also, you will have just to perform a Bulk Transition.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published yesterday in Jira

5 ways you can make the most of Jira Software and Bitbucket Cloud

As part of the Bitbucket product team I'm always interested in better understanding what kind of impact the use of our tools have on the way you work. In a recent study we conducted of software devel...

58 views 0 5
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you