bulk moving of tasks from team managed to company managed turned everything into stories

Lloyd Bullard December 6, 2022

hi, 

what it says in the title. I just moved a huge number of issues from multiple team managed projects into company managed projects. 

the dialogue asked me to confirm that I was turning all epics into epics, stories into stories, tasks into tasks, sub tasks into sub tasks. 

despite all indications this would work fine, everything is now a story. all epics are stories. tasks are stories. sub tasks are stories. all associations between all tasks are gone. there was every indication that this would work but now i am stuck manually redoing a very large number of tasks, relinking them and adding them to epics as quick as I can before I forget how it all was originally.

this is agonizing. any easier way of doing this other then manually? also, any way of avoiding this in future? 

I found these older comments indicating this was not a fixable problem, however i am hoping things might have moved on since the below tickets were raised. 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Bulk-move-epics-with-stories-from-team-project-to-company/qaq-p/1815969

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-17221

1 answer

0 votes
carlosughini
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2022

Hi Lloyd Bullard,

Welcome to the community!

First of all, my sincere apologies for everything that changed and now you need to change it manually. Coincidently, recently I did a migration from team-managed to company-managed in another cloud instance and, unfortunately, the link between tickets need to be done manually.

Moving between project types is a painful experience. It just is like that. For the Epic name, I would suggest you just fill out a hard coded value and then update the Epic names manually after the migration in your company managed project.

Also, it should be noted that Epic Name is not actually a field that is used in Team Managed projects. That field is used only Epics in Company Managed projects, and is a Required field therein. In Team Managed projects, the Epics use only the Summary field.

If the Move Issue option is used to move them between projects, whether they are moved individually or through Bulk Change, you will be required to enter an Epic Name.

If you Move them via Bulk Change, you get to enter only one value for Epic Name, and it gets applied to all the Epics that are moved.

If you used the Move option on one Epic at a time, you would've been prompted to enter an Epic Name each time and the names could've been individualized.

So, to make it "match" what you saw in the Team Managed project, you simply need to copy the Epic's Summary field to the Epic Name field.

Using the Move option would provide not method for otherwise automatically setting the Epic Name field (used only in the destination Company Managed project Epic issue type) to match the pre-existing Summary for each Epic..

Team-managed and company-managed projects link epics to the child issues differently, and I do not believe all of the information is converted/preserved.  That warning is noted on the documentation page for converting between project types...although it says nothing specifically about epics: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/migrate-between-team-managed-and-company-managed-projects/.

That being said, unfortunately, that it is still a painful process that we need to go through to perform this migration.

Kind regards,

Carlos

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events