blurry dropdowns

kartik June 29, 2016

Why all the dropdowns on JIRA looks so blurred. All the text around is nice and sharp but the moment I click on a dropdown menu its blurred out. Can I do something to fix this?

image2016-6-29 10:22:8.png

18 answers

7 votes
Andre Gregori February 2, 2017

This is definitely a UI bug, reproducible in Chrome.  Text shouldn't blur if you zoom in or out.  I reckon it's probably bad CSS.  I'll report it as a bug.

Veronica Vicente October 11, 2017

Hi Andre. Did you report this issue? If so, can you please provide the issue id. I would like to vote on this. Thank you. V~

4 votes
Hugh McGuinness December 15, 2016

seems to happen when the screen zoom is < 100%

Set it to 100% and try that.

bluiska June 20, 2018

Upvote! + This is the issue. Stilla bug though, shouldn't be like this!

3 votes
tjadenad February 22, 2017

This happens to me when I'm at 100% zoom as well in Chrome. Also tried restarting Chrome and clearing cache.

Stefan Berger May 11, 2017

Are you on a Windows machine where the system zoom is set to a value different than 100 % such as a notebook with a small display and high resolution?

I have the zoom in Windows set to 110 % and to 100 % in Chrome and my dropdowns are blurry too.

Like cweiske likes this
2 votes
Jenni Copple April 6, 2018

Having the same issue in Chrome even when zoom level is set to 100%.

2 votes
Heather Holman January 18, 2017

Hello - This is happening for me too, but I am correctly at 100%. It only occurs in Chrome though. IE and FF are fine.

1 vote
Simon Decker June 19, 2020

Still active in 2020 with Chrome 83.0.4103.97. 

Workaround: zoom in or out to change the scale. Just scale 100% makes it blurry.  

1 vote
Kevin McCall April 12, 2018

Still noticing this old issue. It has to do with CSS tranforms and landing on half pixels. You can fix it by moving the transforms around slightly and then readjusting with left/top or just abandoning transform altogether and using left/top instead. There are some tradeoffs.

Screen Shot 2018-04-12 at 2.25.26 PM.png

1 vote
Ed Hayes III March 16, 2018

I have the same issue! Just piling on with everyone else.  Fix this simple bug!! Thanks!

1 vote
Adrian Grigore November 23, 2017

Hi there,

This bugged me also, I haven't seen this fix anywhere else so it might help some of you:

Go to:

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display

and set text size to 100%. 

Christopher Watson September 17, 2018

Is this in windows control panel? Windows 10 doesn't appear to have that option anymore. However I was able to go into the metro app by right-clicking the desktop and choosing 'display settings'.

I have this issue even though my windows and chrome text/scaling is set to 100%

Adrian Grigore September 18, 2018

I was referring to the display settings that come up when right-clicking the desktop and choosing "Display settings".

Make sure ALL (laptop screen, external monitors) of your displays are set to 100% scaling. That was the way it worked for me, anyway...

Christopher Watson September 18, 2018

Thanks @Adrian Grigore. Yes, I did that. Running off a NUC with two external monitors extended. Issue persists but seems like it's just bad CSS coding for Jira.

If it assists anyone else in their troubleshooting, my screen resolution is 1920x1080 on both monitors. Best of luck.

1 vote
Sarah Wilkerson December 21, 2016

I typically set my browser at 80% zoom for JIRA because I like seeing more on the screen.  Yes, those drop downs are blurry.  Very annoying.  And yes, they are clearer at 100% zoom.  I still would like Atlassian to address it.  It should be a simple fix since the other fonts don't have the issue on zoom.

1 vote
Niels Festjens October 7, 2016

This seems to be an issue with transform: translateZ(0), but I have no clue why they're using it.

0 votes
Alex Hong June 29, 2021

I have this issue

0 votes
John Callery December 16, 2016

@Hugh McGuinness that solved it for me. It would be nice to have both clear and enlarged text - but this is fine for now.

0 votes
John Callery December 9, 2016

I just started noticing this, and it's incredibly annoying.

0 votes
Mary Wilson November 2, 2016

Is there a fix for this?  I have some users reporting this and it is creating fatigue when looking at the menus.  I can't seem to find any other info about a fix.  THANKS!

0 votes
kartik October 12, 2016

I am so disappointed that Atlassian won't fix this simple issue. To me it looks like a css issue.

0 votes
Terry Smith October 6, 2016

I've noticed this issue too and was equally concerned about my eyesight.  I'm a front-end developer, and can't, for the life of me, figure out why these menus need to appear blurred.

0 votes
Deleted user July 7, 2016

I noticed this in Confluence too! At first I thought it was my tired eyes. we're running the latest Confluence (self hosted). It's not on our other instance of 5.8.8

Suggest an answer