best way to upgrade jira from 4.4.4 to 6.2

best way to upgrade jira from 4.4.4 to 6.2

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
0 votes

You should always read the upgrade instructions, and you absolutely must read the release notes for each version you're going through (not the point releases, but you really should read the notes for 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 6.1 and 6.2)

is it mandeoty to have both instances of same version to migrate?

Sorry, that's nonsense. You're trying to upgrade - now you've said you want to upgrade to the same version? Which isn't an upgrade? Eh?

I meant, currently i have 2 jiras

one is latest 6.2 and another is 4.4.4 and i want to migrate 4.4.4 to 6.2

My question is - Shall I upgrade it and then migrate or directly migrate to 6.2

I guess i have to first upgrage to the version where i want to migrate

please let me know your thougts?

when i crate new 4.4.4 system , is it ok if i change database type e.g. MSSQL to MYSQL

Ohh, I see, sorry.

It's slightly different use of English than I'm used to. Migrate to me means "move from one place to another", and I'd use "upgrade" for changing the versions, and "merge" for taking stuff from one instance and putting it into another one.

You are right about the merge of Jira installations - if you're going to use the built-in project import, they need to be the same version.

In your case, I would

• Create a new 4.4.4 system, from the 4.4.4 data
  • Upgrade it to 6.2 as a test
  • Migrate to it later when you've passed testing
  • Then you'll be able to export from the 4.4.4/6.2 system and merge it into the existing 6.2

Yes. But I'd treat it as a distinct separate step. If you were just copying the existing 4.4.4 data, you can just grab a copy of the database and restore it into a new area.

To change the database, you'll need to configure the target Jira to use it, and then the easiest route would be to export your 4.4.4 data to xml and import it into the empty mysql-backed Jira.

0 votes
Pedro Souza Atlassian Team Apr 22, 2014

Hello,

I always recommend to install another instance, and import your data to the new instance, so you will have a most recent version and also will keep the previous one as a backup in case something goes wrong:

These are my recommended steps for upgrade:

• Backup your current database.
  • Create a new and clean database that will be used for the new instance.
  • Install the new instance using the new database.
  • Install all the plugins present in your old instance.
  • Copy these folders from the older JIRA_HOME to the new one:
    • <tt>$JIRA_HOME/data/attachments.</tt>
    • <tt>$JIRA_HOME/data/avatars.</tt>

the reason behind upgdare is to move it to latest existing another version of jira which we are planning to use acroos departments.

what is your thought. Shall i upgrade as you said then migrate or directy migrate it to latest existing version

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

433 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you