best way to adress user stories to an EPIC

Jira Median November 23, 2017

Hi,

What is the best way to adress user stories to an EPIC :

1. use linked issues and choose a link : eg. "Story 1 implements EPIC A - Story 2 implements EPIC A..."

or 

2. use the EPIC LINK of each user story.

thanks

5 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Suhas P
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2017

Use Epic Link. So you can also utilise it on Agile boards. Can use it for sorting issues based Epic on Scrum or Kanban board. Also very convenient to see the overview of the issues in particular Epic on board view.

1 vote
Answer accepted
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 23, 2017

Hi

The Epic link is there for that purpose so it's probably better to use it. It also gives you the functionality in JQL to use

"Epic Link" = key

which will find all issues linked to that Epic

0 votes
Jose G Torres December 14, 2017

No, it didn't work.  Setting up Epic Link as mandatory is still not showing up on my pop up window.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

0 votes
Warren
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 13, 2017

Hi Jose

I'm not completely sure of this answer, but it looks as though it is only showing mandatory fields, so if you want it to show the Epic Link, you'll need to make it mandatory.

But ... this is going to be a nuisance for you, because then every time you create a story, you will need to link it to an Epic, which I would imagine you don't want to do.

Thanks, going to test it out and see if that works.

No, it didn't work.  Setting up Epic Link as mandatory is still not showing up on my pop up window.

Any other ideas?

0 votes
Jose G Torres December 13, 2017

When creating an Issue from Confluence, whenever I choose a User Story from the drop down list, I don't get a choice to add an Epic Link or Name.  How do I fix this?  Can it be fixed?Epic Issue to Epic Name.jpgUser Story with no Epic Name or Link.jpg

Suggest an answer