best practice for custom fields?

kris October 23, 2012

We use a lot of custom fields for our projects and usually those fields are specific to certain projects, but not always. Is there a best practice around custom fields/configs and also later removing the fields from screens? I could just remove the field from the screen, but then if I later audit the custom fields I can't tell which ones were actually in use before. Should I just hide them in the config? Each solution I come up with has additional questions. So, is there a best practice?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dieter
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 25, 2012
As Jira is currently implemented you should avoid too many field configurations and create more screen schemes instead. Please read this https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-29310. I hope this will be fixed soon. Please consider to vote there also.
kris November 11, 2012

Thanks Dieter. We'll use that as a starting point :)

0 votes
Julie d'Antin [Elements]
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 18, 2021

Hello Kris, 

I understand your concerns about getting custom fields right. My team and I interviewed a panel of Atlassian experts on how to manage custom fields in Jira effectively and we turned it into a guide. 

I think it could help you get started the right way. 

Cheers, 

Julie

Suggest an answer