auto fill a custom field with specific values

Holger April 25, 2013

Hi there,

I am searching a solution for my problem:

In JIRA, I am trying to configure a custom field that way, that it is automatically filled with a provided value, when in another field a specific value is chosen...

Example: In custom field "A" a specific company is choosen (select list). Custom field "B" now should be filled automatically with the responsible person for the company, choosen in field "A"

Any idea, if this can be done?

Thanks

Holger

4 answers

1 accepted

23 votes
Answer accepted
Holger April 29, 2013

Thanks Peter, Chaithra and Oilspace.........

Your comments were quite helpful. I am playing around with it already. It looks, like this could be my solution :o)

br

Holger

1 vote
Holger April 25, 2013

Hi Oilspace Sysadmin,

thanks for your quick answer. An auto fill on issue creation would be a beginning :-)

Can you provide me with a link to a "postfunction howto"?

thanks...and have a good weekend

Holger

0 votes
Chaithra N
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2013

If the options in the CustomField A are very less, then you can use javascript.

But if the combinations are more, then you have do it with Post function (Note: This doesnot work on Edit action).

Other way is you can use Servlet & Jquery to meet your requirement - refer similar kind of post at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/155690/using-jira-user-properties-to-prefill-custom-fields-on-create - This will work on all action

0 votes
Aspect Infra Team
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 25, 2013

if you need this filling on create of issue - this easily can be done with postfunction in create transition
if you need this on editing of issue - it's more complicated

Suggest an answer