attachment as custom field

Jacques
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2012

hi,

is there any way I can create a custom field, like "install guide" that is an "attachment" type?

From what I see attachment is a general concept and there is no way to use this as a specific field. This makes it difficult to identify different documents within a issues. One always has to use the document name. It would be great that a custom "attachment" field would exist and that one can refer to this custom field in comments and such.

Anyone has any idea if this is possible?

thanks!

Jacques.

7 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

4 votes
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 8, 2017

We recently published Apwide File Field that should cover your need. 

Nathalie Starr November 9, 2017

Is there a plan to roll out a version for cloud?

Like # people like this
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 25, 2018

Hi Nathalie, thanks for your interest for a cloud version. We will implement a cloud version of the app on it as soon as we get more requests for it!

Like Guillaume _Apwide_ likes this
Fred Smith April 13, 2018

@David Berclaz how close are you to rolling out a Cloud version of your add-on? We're using Jira Cloud and have a real need for this feature.

Like Guillaume _Apwide_ likes this
simon August 7, 2018

we need a cloud version!

Like # people like this
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 7, 2018

Hello @Fred Smith & @simon,

I just created the feature request, could you vote for it if you still have the need of having a cloud version of Apwide File Field?

#9 Deliver a version of Apwide File Field for Jira Cloud

[EDIT] To be notified when we publish File Field for Jira Cloud, please open a ticket here:
https://apwide.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/1/create/6

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,

David

Like g.davitaia likes this
kan fuzed July 2, 2019

I know I am late to the party but we also need this feature for our jira cloud. Looking forward to it

Like David Berclaz likes this
David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 3, 2019

Hi @kan fuzed

Sure, we'll update this topic once delivered.
Don't forget to vote on the ticket if not done already.

Cheers,
David

RicardoAraya October 10, 2019

Same here, that field for cloud will be great, im voting

Matt_Sielski October 21, 2019

@David BerclazI can't vote on the issue, but throwing in another request for Jira Cloud.

Matt Noe October 24, 2019

I'm not able to vote on the issue, but also adding another request for Jira Cloud.

Reply Test Group January 14, 2021

Hi @David Berclaz 

so, this Cloud version was abandoned? :c

Like g.davitaia likes this
g.davitaia March 25, 2021

Hi @[deleted] 

I also wander if there is any progress with this issue.

David Berclaz
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 25, 2021

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your interest in File Field for Jira Cloud!

It is still in our plans to deliver a Cloud version for File Field and I will post an update here as soon as we start working on it.

If you want to make sure to be notified when we publish it, you can post a ticket on our Service Desk portal:

https://apwide.atlassian.net/servicedesk/customer/portal/1/group/1/create/6

Cheers,

David

Like # people like this
4 votes
pjuska01 July 15, 2014

Agreed - The ability to create a custom field of type "Single Attachment (Versioned)" specifically for one standardized document would be immesely helpful.

For example, in our standard New Feature ticket, I would add:

Business Requirements Document (BRD) ________________

Quality Assurance Test Script ________________

Project Plan _________________

Techinical Design Document (TDD) _________________

High Level Design Document (HLD) _________________

Peer Code Review Checklist _________________

Unit Testing Artifacts ________________

QA Testing Artifacts ________________

UAT Testing Artifacts ________________

Release Notes _________________

These are all standard documents which must be attached prior to feature release, and for which we have no desire to embed Wiki-style directly in the ticket. A URL link to a Wiki page will not suffice - the Wiki markup is too high a barrier to entry for our large team of varying technical prowess.

I envision that each of these fields would accept only a single attachment, but that the document can be auto-versioned by re-uploading a document of the same name. Prior versions of the document could be accessed via an expanding and indented tree, similar to the treatment of .zip files today.

There could also be a type "Single Attachment (Non-Versioned) if there is a desire to prevent the storage of the document version history.

2 votes
Verhás István
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 31, 2012

A "URL Field" type customfield can be used, filled with the url of the attachment. If you specify the features of the "attachment" type customefield it could be developed as a new customfield plugin.

1 vote
pjuska01 April 23, 2015

The intent here is slightly different.

In the same way Reports and Assignees are two different defined fields, but they are both of type "People" with a standardized interface...

We also have a need for different (custom) fields of "Business Requirements Document" and "Quality Assurance Test Script", with a common document upload and file versioning interface. It would render identically to the generic "Attachments" field, but could be labeled with greater specificity. 

This would alleviate the need for enforcing file naming conventions and file versioning conventions across multiple teams and team members.  I don't care what you call the document, as long as you upload it under the "Business Requirements Document" attachment field.  I don't care what you name the wireframes file, as long as you upload it under the "Wireframes Document" field.

This is especially powerful if we separate development, qa and deployment concerns on separate tabs.

Today, there is no "attachment" field type - We can only reference the generic bucket of attachments buried somewhere in the comments.

Another way of saying it is that "Watchers" (just a generic bucket of people) are to "Attachments" (a generic bucket of files) as "Reporter" (a specific defined person) is to "Business Requirements Document" (a specific type of document.) and "Assignee" (a specific defined person) is to "Mockups Document" (a specific type of document.)

Permitting "attachment(s)" as a *custom* field type would allow the end user specify the document types that best align with their process (and ticket types.) 

0 votes
William Rojas September 26, 2017
Nathalie Starr November 9, 2017

Is there any plan to roll this out for jira cloud? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 10, 2017

It's a type of function that cannot be implemented in Cloud, unless you take the attachment storage out to a 3rd party.

0 votes
Verhás István
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 13, 2014

Just to make sure you can refer to any attachment from the comment as it is document at https://verhas.atlassian.net/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=links. In case the type of the attachment allows it also can be embedded into the comment as well https://verhas.atlassian.net/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=attachments and https://verhas.atlassian.net/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=images

0 votes
Erik Disler November 13, 2014

The previous comments are exactly one of the requirements that I have for a work request system that I am working on. We are currently evaluating capabilities of various COTS suppliers. 

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question