Does anyone knows why? Can I delete one of them?logfiles.png

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2017

Dear Anna,

This has to do with the log rotation. As you can see, Atlassian-jira.log 3 is the oldest one and all logs are about the same size.

This can have three reasons;

1. There is a log size threshold, logs stop at a certain size.
  2. There is a time threshold, A time when a log should be created.
  3.  Your JIRA has been restarted.

This is normal behavior and you can indeed delete the older logs if you are no longer going to use them. This will not cause any harm other than the logs being removed.  In your case, you can see that there is a size threshold active. Your logs will not grow too big.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

https://www.prepend.nl

Anna Protopapa September 11, 2017

Thank you Jeremy,

Do I have to shutdown the server to delete atlassian-jira.log.3?

Regards,

Anna

Anna Protopapa September 11, 2017

I have deleted 2 of the log files without stopping server. It is working properly.

Thank you

Jeremy M
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 11, 2017

Dear Anna,

Glad to see it has been resolved! I was out of office at the time you had written your first answer :-). And indeed, the older log files are not being written to anymore by JIRA. They are ''done''. So JIRA has no active interaction with them anymore.

Friendly Regards,

Jeremy Mooiman

Suggest an answer