Timothy Harris April 19, 2017

We have a customer who wants

- Jira
- Bitbucket
- Confluence
- Fisheye/Crucible
- Artifactory

All with a shared JVM on the same host.

I don't like it and see all kinds of upgrade and memory issues. Plus if you lose the host you lose the whole stack!

But is it even possible?

I mean each application comes with its own tomcat. Pretty sure you can change the JRE location of the application(s). At least Jira. Not sure about the others.

What kind of issues could be encountered and is this even a supported configuration?

1 answer

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2017

No, this is not supported.

As most of the applications are no longer provided via a WAR file, you'd probably have to build each application from source. As you've noticed, the installers/archives all are deployed already within a Tomcat container.

This would ONLY cause further problems. This is not a good idea.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 19, 2017

Incidentally, have they given you a reason? Or are they just demanding unreasonable and silly things for fun...

It is, actually, my colleague who queried about this yesterday from a customer. So I don't know the reasoning. My first reaction was, this is not what we recommend.

Happy to hear I am not the only one who shares this view :-)

Also wasn't aware that WAR distribution was being deprecated. That in istelf should be enough to persuade them away from this idea.

Thanks!

But next question. Each, most,  of the applications have their own JRE bundled now. Does this not mean they have there own JVM? I mean what would be the point in using an external JRE?

Suggest an answer