assigning an issue to a someother person if assignee is not present for more than 5 days

Priyanka Khare November 15, 2017

When current assignee for a an issue is not available for maximum of 4-5 days, the issue should be assigned to the back-up person and should not be left unassigned. Can this be achieved using script runner?

2 answers

1 vote
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 15, 2017

Hello Priyanka,

Yes, that's possible.

You can use the script runner's "escalation service" feature. Wherein you can write a JQL to return you the issues which haven't been "updated" in last 5 days i.e. the "assignee" isn't available basically that would be interpreted as issue not updated.

So the JQL can be 

project = X and resolution is empty and updatedDate < -5d

This will give you the issue List and then in issue actions you can select the issue action to change the assignee to the desired person.

Thanks for this update Tarun, also can you please help me with this- I want this feature which would automatically assign a new assignee for a particular issue of a project,agree i would write the JQL mentioned by you but then it will give the count of issue/ list of issue, does that mean we have to manually go to each issue and then change an assignee. Can you give me detailed solution or approach of how to implement this for my project in JIRA. Thanks in advance! @Tarun Sapra

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2017

What do you mean by not available?

Cristian Rosas [Tecnofor]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 15, 2017

With the question of @Alexey Matveev and the products, platforms (cloud or on premise) and versions you are using @Priyanka Khare,would be helpful.

With Jira Service Desk an automation should be enough

Not available means that the issue is not updated by the current assignee for more than 5 days and hence needs to be assigned to someone else.

Suggest an answer