anonymous user can change status of issue

Dario Sala November 19, 2012

i need to grant anonymous access to our jira project, with read-only permissions.

I granted the Browse Project Permission to the group 'anyone' in the project schema, but doing that anonymous users can also change issue status (To do, In progress, Done, ...).

Is there a way to give a real read-only access to a project ?

5 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2012

yes.

you'll need to modify permissions to do so.

add jira-user group to "Browse Project" permission. (i think it is by default)

you can also use Roles.

make sure you have your read-only users in this group/role only.

allow working steps like assign, assingable...to f.e. Developers(Role) only.

this will prevent users that are not assigned to the developer role for this project to start the progress

cause by default i think "Start Progress" has the "assignee only" condition.

check permission schemes for more details.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Permissions

by setting up project roles you can easily define which of your users should be able to see and wich to be able to work on issues

i forgot to add...you also could check the workflow and modify validation of steps.

let me know how it goes

1 vote
Dario Sala November 27, 2012

ok.

the issue was on defining the correct conditions for workflow transition.

Now it works.

thank you.

D.

0 votes
Terry Skene July 8, 2013

Thanks for the quick response Andrew. It appears that we're using the same condition, but it didn't seem to make a difference for us. To be clear, "Open" and "InProgress" and "Resolved" (listed under the "workflow" dropdown) are workflow steps, not transitions. Ideally, I'd like to simply just hide the steps and only show the transitions up there. That would solve our issue.

0 votes
Terry Skene July 8, 2013

We have the same issue. We've granted browse permissions to "anyone", but they are also able to change the status of items by clicking on the button on the issue page (See "Open" and "InProgress" buttons below). We're using a GreenHopper Simplified Workflow and have added transitions with contstraints and validators to each transition, each of which (I assume) should prevent a user that is not logged in from moving an item from one state to the next. However, anonymous users are still able to change the state (move from "Open" <--> "InProgress" <--> "Resolved"). We must be missing something obvious, but I don't see it. Any ideas?

Terry Skene July 8, 2013

For each transition, we configured a validator and condition, each with "Only users with Edit Issues permission can execute this transition." However, the buttons shown above still allow anonymous users to change the state of the item.

Andrew Fisher July 8, 2013

Terry - what condition (or conditions) do you have set up on your "In Progress" transition? Our workflow transition's condition (after we changed it) now says "Only users with Edit Issues permission can execute this transition" (although we're not using the Simplified workflow, so our situation may be slightly different).

0 votes
Andrew Fisher June 28, 2013

We had a similar challenge, in that we had our permissions set such that "anyone" (i.e. anonymous users) could browse projects, but only regular / logged in users could edit issues. However, we found that anonymous users could still move something to in progress (we'd previously removed the condition allowing only the assignee to execute the "Start Progress" transition). Based on Dario's comment (thanks Dario), we're looking at adding a condition to our transitions, to limit to those with "Edit Issues" permission. Let me know if anyone has any better suggestions.

Suggest an answer