Come for the products,
stay for the community

The Atlassian Community can help you and your team get more value out of Atlassian products and practices.

Atlassian Community about banner
Community Members

Community Events
Community Groups

advanced search help

I'm new to Jira's search and would love some help understanding how to define a search result to filter out any members of a particular team(s). Is there an easy way to remove specific results in a search (ie search for everything but objects in team 1)?

The context here is that I would like to bulk edit objects that have not been edited already so another option would be to search for objects that have a 0 value for any "team" information.

1 answer

0 votes

Hello @Timothy Friesen 

Welcome to the community.

Are you working with Jira Cloud or Jira Server/Data Center?

Can you be more specific about your requirements? Which field in the issues contains the data you want to evaluate? How are the team members you want to exclude/include associated to the issues?

I'm not totally sure. I'm working inside an internet browser so that would make me lean toward Jira Cloud. I'm not totally sure how to confirm one way or the other.

To answer you other questions:

- The team column I'm looking to batch edit already has objects that have data I don't want to edit.

-Since many of the objects already have correct values, I only want to batch edit objects that have "no value" attached to them yet.

- So this makes me want to find a way to exclude certain teams listed in the search result or only include objects with "no value" 

If the URL for your site is https://<something>.atlassian.net then you are working with Jira Cloud. If the URL is not like that then you are work with Jira Server/Data Center.

Can you provide screen image(s) that shows issues you would want to include and issues you would want to exclude from you bulk update and highlight what pieces of data specifically indicate "this should be excluded"?

Jira searches are based on setting criteria for fields (i.e. Status, Issue Type, Assignee) to specify which issues you want to include. The criteria can be inclusive (i.e. Status = Done) or exclusive (i.e. Status != Done , or , Status not in (To Do, In Progress) )

To help you define your search criteria we need to know what Field(s) you want to use as the basis for selecting issues and what value(s) in the field indicate you want to include (or exclude) the issue.

If you are new to Jira and unfamiliar with the terminology, it will be helpful to us to see screen images from your system so that we can use terminology that you can directly correlate to your environment.

You might also find it helpful to review the documentation available on issue searching:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/search-for-issues-in-jira/

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-advanced-search-with-jira-query-language-jql/

Suggest an answer